Agnostic.com

33 10

Is it consider mental abuse if someone preaches to you about their religion without your consent?

Yesterday, I was house hunting in a different area and a realtor's husband spent nearly an hour talking about the "love of Jesus Christ" to me and what "real" Christianity means while driving me to different properties.

I couldn't really focus on my mental notes of the properties because I was constantly hearing this man talk about God and it stressed me out and was draining and at least twice I told him to stop but he wouldn't and went back to his "passionate" rant of Jesus and love.

I'm too nice I admit. I wanted to respect his beliefs and just listen but I was at my wits end. I wanted to scream at him.

All of this crap because I told him I am a Religious and Cultural Studies student. I had absolutely no desire to talk about Christianity.

I see now it was a form of manipulation. This is why vulnerable ignorant people get "saved" because it's like a form of brainwashing when people over and over and over "preach" about their religion to them.

Thanks to him, I hate Christianity more than ever.

taemaria27 5 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fundamentalist Christianity and it's judgemental tendencies and complex building rhetoric have caused emotional pain and suffering for a lot of people. Religious practice is oftentimes the first time people learn about predjudices and being subjugated over doubts and disbelief. It's not wrong to hold religion to empirical muster, and it always reveals the truth. At the very least there's no way existence could be proven and at the very most existence can be disproven; or any and all possibilities exist. If all possibilities exist, saying on possibility is true and another is false makes no sense.

If they are using abusive language (which religious culture is full of--talk of "fear" and "sin" and "purity" and "forgiveness" and "should" statements) and ESPECIALLY if they continue after you tell them to stop.

Only slightly more than someone trying to sell me a material object that I am not interested in. I would consider it an imposition on my polite nature and not abuse per say. Though I have been witness to both salesmen and proselytizers that had it been me, I may have considered abusive.

I think you left yourself wide open for his "pitch" by telling him your studying religious stuff. He tried to sell you on his version. Next time you'll be a little bit more wary about giving out info to strangers. It's ok to say no.

Yes, that is mental and verbal abuse.

There is a general acceptance of behaviour in the workplace. I believe you needed to tell the person that action would be taken should he not desist. The pain /pleasure principal.

Why was the realtors husband even there? The realtor couldn't drive themselves?? I would drop the realtor and let them know why...and maybe leave a warning yelp review to keep others away from having the same preachy hour occurring to them :-/ Even if you have signed a contract with them, you can get out of it and work with someone else.

I'd be telling the realtor that because of his behavior I'll be finding another realtor. Hit them in the pocket book, it won't "save" you from the abuse you just suffered but maybe it will save someone else when he keeps his mouth shut.

At the very least I think you are right about it being a form of manipulation. But I think that about religion in general. I see that you wanted to respect his beliefs but he wasn't respecting yours by stopping when you asked him to stop. I would report him to whatever realty group he works for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.