Agnostic.com

6 12

Religion—particularly, Christianity has lobotomized the Black psyche for centuries. It's time to wake up and live a guilt free life. Live free from doctrine.

Sapio_Ink 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So true..

To quote "black Christians have a really short memory" (may be slightly off but that is roughly the phrase). That being said an overall lobotomized. Like any privilege there are situations when your sex, race, appearance, intelligence, behavior will give or lose you privilege in a situation.
Your religion is another privilege situation... Run by people with their own bia's of above.

Not being an American myself, but I recall discussion a while back when Neil Degrass Tyson complained that the black community in the US is excessively characterised in culture and depiction as more religious and more overtly religious compared to other communities. I cannot attest to any direct experience or insight on this, but I wonder if he is right and black people are thought of, incorrectly, as naturally more religious. A stereotype?

It seems that we have a higher propensity, than any other group, to believe in superstitions. And a rigid submission to authority--whether real or perceived. We have been found to be the most religious community in the USA...based on statistics.
And look at this world map:
[pocketcultures.com]

Seems kinda hopeless to think that black people will ever be free from this addiction.

Do you know of Prof. Anthony Pinn? He's a Black atheist and professor of religious studies, in Texas I believe, and has written several books on the subject including WRITING GOD'S OBITUARY. He talks about growing up in a very religious environment and how difficult it was to make the break. Check him out if you haven't already. Brilliant man.

I have a black buddy that I told I was an atheist years ago so we never talked about religion but he just told his nephew in front of me he's an atheist. I was very surprised because I know his whole family and they are all very religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.