Agnostic.com

3 4

I am often struck by how people seem to ignore the fact that women die in child birth on conversations surrounding it. Like in the abortion debates.

This episode I learned a lot about how child birth has progressed.
I didn’t know the breathing techniques came from Russia for example.
I had heard of twilight births before.

[acast.com]

Myah 6 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

America has one of the heights rates 😟

@Myah I'm a solid believer that unless you put your feet in the stirrups and your life on the line, you should not be in the decision. Just last year (or the year before), a woman in Wisconsin died giving birth to her second child.

This is fascinating. My niece by marriage went though having an early and traumatic birth experience. At one point we were hoping we weren't going to lose her and her daughter. She had pre-eclampsia and they kept trying to make her hold on to the pregnancy in hospital.

My grand niece was in NICU for months and her Mom had to recover from an emergency C-section. And PTSD from being treated like a "body" rather than a person.
She felt like a failure when she had difficulty producing breast milk right away! Which should be ridiculous in this day and age. There are other options. In fact they had to go to a supplement later because her daughter couldn't digest regular breast milk.

BTW my grand niece is in amazing shape for a baby born that prematurely. She's adorable and on track for her age. We are very fortunate.

My Mom labored for 36 hours before they figured out her pelvis wasn't large enough to pass the baby through. 1952 - they finally figured it out via X-Ray.

I think I'm more aware of the issues surrounding childbirth because of knowing what my Mom went through 4 times. (Essentially major surgery).
Later because my niece was put through the wringer.

I am glad they all survived and your grandniece is thriving

@Myah Me too. As an Atheist it was kind of a trying time. No one to pray to? Did a lot of hoping. And we've all been very fortunate. - My niece's Mom and I were both there the day she said "Maybe I should have another?" - we just looked at each other like "I could not take it!". But we shut our mouths..... 😉

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23362
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.