Agnostic.com

10 10

LINK Humanists call for abolition of blasphemy law in proposed hate crime legislation - Scottish Legal News

(Scottish Legal News)(& possibly coming to a government near you! .^🙂
Humanists have written to Scottish government secretaries Aileen Campbell and Humza Yousaf to call for Scotland’s common law offence against blasphemy to be dropped in forthcoming legislation covering hate crime.

Dougy 7 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agree! I feel the same about "blue laws" with regard to no selling of alcohol on Sunday, stores not permitted to do business until after Noon when church services are over. I don't know about northern part of the USA but blue laws are still in affect in the Southern USA. Antiquated and discriminatory.

The same as "political correctness ". Equally senseless, just the politically correct people are more dangerous today.

zesty Level 7 Mar 19, 2019

It's about goddamn time.

I could try for a petition. It only needs a single signature and acceptance by committee. I may start one after Christmas due to time constraints and drinking commitments

Are there any time restraints on drinking commitments?

If someone could get them abolished in more religious nations, then that would be great.

gearl Level 8 Nov 29, 2018

According to Wikipedia six US states have blasphemy laws, but they are not enforceable of course. Some people would like to have them enforced no doubt.

I hate blasphemy laws. How can you criticize things that don't exist. It's just religious control.

Well said !!!!!

Saw a button once: "Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

GOOD! I'm against ''blasphemy'' laws...they're used punitively against people who don't agree with us. As such...that's really bad law.

I think it was last used in 1944 to shut up a 'witch'. There are some parts of Scotland where Christian extremism is rife, but they mostly fight with one another in their 'Wee Free Kirks'.
The public has no stomach for a referendum, we may have a couple more pressing issues coming up soon.

Humanists have written to Scottish government secretaries Aileen Campbell and Humza Yousaf to call for Scotland’s common law offence against blasphemy to be dropped in forthcoming legislation covering hate crime.

A letter from Humanist Society Scotland calls the retention of the common law offence against blasphemy “a stain on Scotland’s overall positive human rights record”.

Furthermore, the letter claims that members of the Scottish Parliament’s Public Petitions Committee received information from the government that a consultation, launched last week, would cover this issue.

However, the consultation document has no question relating to the offence.

Humanist Society Scotland chief executive Gordon MacRae said: “Scotland is one of the last remaining countries in Europe with a blasphemy law still on its books after Ireland recently voted by referendum to scrap this archaic crime.

“It is disappointing that after positive engagement with the government before the launch of this consultation, including correspondence sent to the Scottish Parliament’s Public Petitions Committee, the Scottish government have now backed away from consulting on scrapping blasphemy.

“There is no rational reason for retaining a law as part of legislation that will bring in new protections against religiously motivated hate crime.”

Dougy Level 7 Nov 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:233827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.