Agnostic.com

11 4

I wish I were more brazen in real life. Unfortunately, I can barely speak to other humans. This is why I need someone else to carry out my church idea for the good of the world. I need someone to be willing to publicly announce they believe in a god, and start a church that teaches everything BAD about the bible(which is most of it wouldn't ya say...) while saying that the real true god sent that bible to test out the morality of truly good people and all those who have enough goodness in them to reject that book will have passed the test that is required for entry into heaven. Anyone who starts this church would have to risk being shot or blown up by crazy religious people but I think u could also make a shit ton of money and get hell famous. Donations would only be icing on the cake but honestly I'd like someone to lead others away from the bible's horrendous laws. Someone who is charismatic and a good speaker could really blow this idea up and into a phenomenon of a new church. The discussion there would inevitable lead to discussing better ways to live(since religious ppl seem to need a leader in that area). Some religious people really would be converted and convinced that bible denying is the real way to live if this message is put out by someone in a genuine manner in a setting that religious people are used to. Of course the church will have to try it's best to be set up as close to traditional church as possible except add in a lot more volunteer work. Let the churches actions be its biggest noise and don't let it in any way ever be anythng like a unitarian church because that will immediately turn the average religious person away. I believe this could be a great bridge to a new era of getting closer and closer to generations of non religion.

Amyreneeferox 4 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

RE: Birdingnut's article below: Interesting....but, anyone who says they don't doubt God's existence is lying; more do than will admit. Anyone who thinks the Bible is the literal word of God is foolish. It's inspired, not literal. You can't convince me that scribes haven't snuck their 2 cents worth in while copying the texts. That's only human. I've found several "edits", even omissions in scriptures.

Still, this article is encouraging. More ethnicity, more tolerance in society, less blind faith and more critical thinking. I can only hope.

It is not a good idea to start out by saying bad things about anything, Those who start religions are few and far between. If one studies the history and philosophy of Religion I think one will find that all are built on the beliefs of those before them put into the goings on of the time. In my humble opinion you need to think on this and find what it is within yourself that wants you to do this. I know your intentions are to make the world a better place, but I would ask if in fact it has done so. You may fin the world is not ready for your ideas, even if they are present in our daily current of thought. I hope this is taken in the helpful manner I intend. If not I think my point is made. Perhaps not.

I had no intentions of crapping on you. I have wondered if this could be done for oer 65 years. I have come to the realization that it would be a waste of time. (at least for me. I can only speak for myself and in no way want to tell someone what to do) I hope for discussion as if you have the power to do what it is you want to do to better the world I would probably be one of your first supporters as this world can surely be made better and we are the only ones who can accomplish the task. If I am a dick then it is so, I however hope this is not the case as I have no interest in doing the stuff one has to do to be that. I do have a dick, it does not work for anything other than making a mess in the bathroom. I am really sorry if I have offended anyone that is not what I am about,

Super fun thought experiment! And you are right, we do need to substitute something workable for the old systems. But, this would be just another lie. And it would become corrupted. The founders would begin believing their own bullshit and people would fight wars over it, missionaries would be sent out, and lives would be ruined all over again. I think its best to repudiate all assertions of "the true god" and focus on transcending superstition and notions of heaven and hell. (Where this might work, though, is in politics - if some Republican came out and used this technique against Donald Trump and the Republican Party?)

You and I appear to share a similar sense of deviance—pity there aren’t more like us! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve envisioned someone getting up in a straight-laced, uptight church for the scripture reading, and reciting something like the following text:

“Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.” Ezekiel 23:19-21 (NIV)

One could almost imagine the faces of shock on the attendees after hearing this, and the strain they might experience as the reader would prompt them with the obligatory, “The word of the Lord,” eliciting from the congregation, “Thanks be to God[?]” What a corruption!

And yet, there are all-too-many Bible texts one would never hear in public, and one should probably never read to children. Gratuitous violence, misogyny, incest, rape, infanticide, genocide … it’s all there. If only all these verses were read so that the pews would grow restless, and the sleepy churchgoers might sit up and take note!

I must admit to another devilish fantasy for the upcoming 1 April Easter service—I dare any pastor on the planet to utter, “Christ is Risen … April Fool!”

Wow.......that's hilarious. I think I would actually pay an admittance to a church service where it was guaranteed that would happen.

You are absolutely brilliant. And I think your idea is a pretty good indication of who would be best to do this. That person would be YOU. Once you stepped on the razor's edge, I bet you would dance all the way down it!

I think your basic intuition that the way OUT of religion is to some extent THROUGH it is a good one. Society isn't really ready to discard religion cold turkey The devil, of course, is in the details.

I think that liberal Christianity already represents an incomplete evolution away from leading with doctrine, about provoking people to good works -- to DO right rather than BE right. I think it's headed in the right direction.

Unitarian / Universalism is a post-Christian evolution from that, away from creedalism and towards community-oriented covenant. As you suggest, it's a bridge too far for even liberal Christians. Also in my experience with a couple of their congregations, they can be cliquish around political activism, extreme political correctness, etc. In other words they've exchanged religious ideology for political ideology, and it defeats the purpose of what a UU congregation should, in theory, be. At least in my view on the outside looking in, and then actually poking in a little. So I think when you say a UU church would turn the average religious person away, I think that's mis-identifying what the turn off is. Yes it's partially the post-Christian nature of the beast, but it's also the vibe of "you're not one of us unless you've practiced civil disobedience as a social justice warrior". It's too much to ask at once. I think many liberal Christians would find it attractive if it was just a natural evolution of their religious impulse without all the cliquish, snobbish, SJW stuff being an inherent part of it.

I used to think that maybe another thousand years hence we'd see religion relegated to a fringe element but now I think it might devolve into something more like a lodge with rituals the origin of which are mostly forgotten, but which provides its members community and refuge. Kind of like how the order of freemasons are not necessarily stone masons anymore. That could happen a lot sooner, under some scenarios I could envision, within the next few generations. All the above-mentioned developments lean towards the retention of a form of religion without the dogma. I think it's happening organically.

What happened in my local unitarian house is many different strange alternatively practicing people came together (wiccans and Buddhists mostly) and each sub group began using the buidling on different nights as a place of refuge. Only on Sundays would they all come together. even then, they'd do weird rituals. It was like a place where they decided to become as silly as they possibly could.

@Amyreneeferox Interesting. Every group has to have something to coalesce around and at a UU church that's not going to be a common doctrine, by definition. The three UU churches I've poked my head into seem to coalesce around liberal politics, usually of the activist / SJW variety, which is just substituting one ideology for another. I'm fairly liberal myself, politically, but attending any of these churches would be like being trapped in a never-ending Bernie Sanders campaign, and much as I loved Bernie, that is not something I want to do with the rest of my life. They have Buddhists, Atheists, etc., but the common denominator seems to be political.

I can see where it could get weird in the way you mention, too. The two denominations that the UU formed out of around 1960 were themselves fairly diverse, one was more blue-collar, the other more elitist. The in-joke is that one group through god was too good to condemn man, and the other thought man was too good for god to condemn. So the question is, with all this hyper-diversity, what do they actually stand FOR such that there's something to coalesce around? They usually resort to the slogan, "Standing on the side of love" but in practice, at least at one of these churches that I've been on their listserv and attended quite a few of their activities, there's an ugly underbelly of "splitting" behavior where someone who would be the very definition of a conservative's derisive label "snowflake" takes up some sort of offense, blows it out of proportion, and demands to always feel "safe", threatens to leave if they don't get their way, and then everyone comes along to smooth their ruffled feathers.

Not interesting to me.

@Amyreneeferox I've visited that very same UU church you're referring to. I wanted it to be my liberal refuge. I wanted it to be the place I could call home after I left christianity. Unfortunately, I never quite felt like I belonged. I like the idea you proposed. But, like you, I'm the introverted type and could never be a charismatic leader. I could be the behind the scences guy, but definitely not the leader. I like your idea though.

Hmmmmmmm....is it "brazen" to be able to speak to others? Really?

It is for me. I'm debilitatingly nervous

@Amyreneeferox Brazen... That's an interesting word. To be bold and without shame. Frequently used with reference to doing illegal or immoral acts. Enduring embarrassing or difficult situations by behaving with apparent confidence and lack of shame. I think I like brazen.

@MrLink it's extra difficult for me to be social( like at work ) because every damn I thought i have is seen as so deranged by the average sheeple. It makes it difficult for small talk to be possible especially.

@Amyreneeferox Once you stretch a mind, it never returns to its original shape. Sounds like fun.

That would be great instead of Christmas Pageants, There could be plays depicting Lots daughers raping him
Or maybe Japheth Sacrifices his virgin daughter
How bout Noah gets drunk and curses his grandchildren cus he likes to streak!
These would make great live action plays for everyone to enjoy!

These stories were given in the Bible to illustrate how distorted their thinking was - just as we have them today. Lot's daughters, being from S&G, picked up some habits living there. Incest was prevalent in those cities. But, how do we REALLY know they raped their father? He had a drinking problem. Maybe he molested them as children, grooming them for sex later, conditioning them to think incest was okay.. And don't forget how mysogenistic the scribes were that wrote these stories, as were religious leaders later for hundreds of years. The scribe could have reversed the truth and made the daughters the attackers.

As for Japeth, he lived in a land where they sacrificed their own children. He wasn't raised a Jew, but converted. The point here was that he thought that since Yahweh permitted burnt offerings, it would be okay to sacrifice his daughter.

Just like there are crazy zealots today handling snakes (what I grew up with), blowing up abortion clinics and the people in them to protest that abortion is murder, they had nutty, dangerous zealots back then.

@Lewellyn3 I am really impressed with your knowledge. It is rare. Yep it's probably made up anyway. I take the bible for what it actually says. If i got a girl so drunk she did not know htat was happening and had sex with her it would rightly be called rape. So that and that alone is my justification for calling it rape. But you are right we don't know that it happened at all so we just can't speculate on fiction.

Japeth is just a horrible story. I think of him as one of the bibles worst idiots. The story also makes god look very bad. For this reason I am glad and hope it is pure fiction.

@DavidLaDeau My point about Lot is that the author of the story could have reversed what really happened, based on how the Jews (and later religious leaders) regarded women as deceitful temptresses ever since Eve. That theme carried on for centuries, to the extent that women weren't given pain medicine during childbirth because they believed that pain was woman's punishment for leading Adam to sin. (I always thought of Adam as weak, spineless, and probably henpecked.) I agree, Jephtha was an idiot. But there were human sacrifices performed where he lived and he must have thought it would be cool with Yaweh, too. Lotsa stupid throughout the ages!

@Lewellyn3 You could not be more perceptive.

@DavidLaDeau thank you!

@Lewellyn3 I am still dying to know how you have come by such depth of understanding. You not only have to have much historical back ground, but also literally in respect to that history in addition to cultural anthropology....

@DavidLaDeau ..I've always had a learning addiction, especially languages, cultures, customs of people. Maybe its the travel, too; I've visited 4 continents, 37 countries. When I was in college, I took a world religion class and realized there were things one must consider when reading religious writings: interprete all writings in the context of that time in which it was written; don't judge the people by the morals of today but of their time and culture; always have a map of the region depicting the time of the story; always have a dictionary or better, a concordance, of the language in which the text is written. Translations are often a scrubbed up version of the original text. I try to always take the translations with a grain of salt! (It was while researching Luke Chapter 7 this way that convinced me that homosexuality is NOT a sin, rather the scribes altered the text! Of course, preachers will NEVER reveal that to their congregations!) 😉

That is genius. Sorry though, I'm not charismatic or a good speaker either. Plus, I have young children and can't risk dying yet. If I think of someone I will let you know.

you put alot of thought into this..

Marz Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

Hmm..better to just let religion die out, as it is anyway.
More atheists with each generation.

The Millennials: America's Secular Future [bigthink.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23458
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.