Agnostic.com

7 3

Why is it so hard?

It would be nice to actually meet someone genuine but my experience over a couple of years is proving to me that it's not simple. Or maybe it's just at my age. Discuss....

Larimar 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think for women at our age (50s), it will always be hard. Yes, I have my standards, but I'm not willing to settle with just anyone anymore. It's like someone who said something along the lines of "guess I'll know it's him when I see him."

One reason it is sometimes hard is unrealistically "high" standards (or really just unrealistic standards). I have known of women (my SIL for example) who every man they consider when perusing dating sites gets a maximum 10 seconds of thought and is rejected with "too short" "too tall" "too bald" "too old" "too young", too something. And all the criteria seems to be external appearance-oriented. That woman is NEVER going to find anyone. Maybe she thinks she's still 30 instead of 50, I don't know. Her standards were too "high" then, too.

I think one has to ask oneself if they really find value in companionship on a day to day, moment to moment basis, warts and all. If not, quit the game. It's a legitimate decision. But if you see value, then make sure you're not expecting an exact reproduction of a past love and/or a persistent mental / emotional fantasy. Every one brings something different to the table ... different values, different annoyances. You have to be able to accept them as / where they are without the condition that you get to hector them into shape.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is why it's hard for you, I'm just observing what I've seen over the years. Also I'm not suggesting that I haven't seen men do their own version of this.

Well said

Women seek men that they can change. Men seek women hoping they won't change. The men you meet are genuine. They just arn't what you want. So it's important to be clear about what you want. And it's even more important to understand what men want. When you've done all that, you will realize that a good match is very hard to come by. And in the hunt, you will cover ground fastest by saying clearly what it is you want. If you want sex, say you want sex. If you want intelligent conversation, say so. And so on. And don't be surprised if what you want is more than one person.

Girls may want to change men. Women want men of substance who don't need to change. That said, the one constant in the universe is change.

@RoseyRose men may prove the exception to your rule. Men tend not to change except to be more themselves as they become more comfortable. So humor me a bit and define, as best you can, what "substance " means.

@Tompain1 I can try, maybe only superficially. Let me first clarify "change" should not be considered a gender issue. Perhaps a maturity issue. A girl, may want a boy to change by wearing appropriate attire to am event they may attend. A man of substance would already know how to dress and conduct himself. A girl may tire of hearing drinking stories and school boy exploits. A man of substance would have a plethora of interesting subjects for conversation. Except of course the men were Peter O'Toole or Richard Harris, somehow they could get away with drinking stories.

@RoseyRose the change I'm talking about is the change that happens in the transition from courting behavior to nesting behavior. In courting behavior the priority is the attraction of a mate. Men and women act to make themselves attractive to the opposite sex. As soon as a match is secured, the female shifts from courting behavior to nesting behavior. Men on the other hand remain in conquest mode. Finding a mate is a conquest. Hunting and gathering are also a conquests. Men remain stuck in conquest mode. Indeed monogamy itself, while a secure arrangement that nesting females prefer, is not a requirement for males. So women choose men that they hope will adapt to support their nesting behavior. Men on the other hand want the courtship to go on and on. They crave the behavior that women display to attract them. "Substance" is or are the qualities that you look for. Your turn on. I hope you see that that list will be different for each of us. If you take the "not sure how to define it but I know it when I see it " approach, as many do, you will get what you want eventually. Or you can look inward and figure out what "substance" means to you, and save a lot of time and effort. Most importantly the exercise can get you a better understanding that much of what you seek, you already have.

@Tompain1 I am delighted my experience differs.Obviously I am the lucky one.

I can't help nut notice meeting women and getting dates was a lot easier when was younger. I'm not imagining it, it rally was. I can only conclude it gets tougher as we get older for some reason.

Addendum: That's what she said!

Nobody wants to take a chance any longer. That happens when you get older and find yourself alone. I like people but I don't have to be around them. I don't want to give up my small pleasures and belongings to discover that my way of life is changing just so I can be with someone again. What are we going to do today or tonight? Speak for yourself or maybe just make a suggestion. I don't want to have to entertain someone. We will not watch your TV shows one week and mine the next. (A woman actually suggested this to me one time.) With the right person two people together are wonderful. I'm at the stage in life right now where retirement is a half acre and a mobile home. A woman can share this with me but I'm not about to sell out to move in with somebody. If it did not work out I would then have nothing.

Getting older and being single person seeking companionship is a catch 22. We know better, are wiser, and more comfortable in our own skin than in our younger years. But we have to many crummy experiences that have made us put up walls and made us super cautious, making it hard to be our true selves right away.

No, it's not simple, and in the online forums, things are very often not what they seem.

It's proving that it's not in meeting them personally either!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.