Agnostic.com

12 5

How did we get to the point that religious people think their faith is more important than their job. If the duties of their job are against their religion then they shouldn't have applied for it in the first place. Conversely if they refuse to do their job because of their religion, then they should be shown the door post hast.
I don't remember this being so prevalent in the past. The world is in the 21st century and society is in the dark ages.

MikeFlora 7 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It almost appears to me to be a state of legal prejudice, that didn't work very well here or South Africa. If I can refuse you due to religious reasons concerning your sexuality then can't I refuse anyone I don't agree with? Or refuse you service because I don't like the color of your socks on Tuesdays.

Faith before employment is a basic American right, if not tradition! Since the founding of this nation, it has always been expected that God would, in the priority of things, come before Country. Conscientious objectors were allowed to serve in the military as non-combatants, even during war. Strict Sabbath-keeping religions have, by court order, been allowed work schedule adjustments, so that their members might not work on their Sabbath, yet remain employed. Employers frequently lose lawsuits brought by employees who were not allowed to practice their faith. As a nonbeliever, I am merely stating facts.

Stating facts doesn't make it right(not aimed at you) Nobody should be able to modify their job description to fit religious beliefs.

@MikeFlora And I don't disagree with you, either ... it's just that we have a tremendous amount of precedent, history and 'tradition' to overcome if, in fact, we are to change labor laws, if not majority opinion.

@pnullifidian I don't have a problem with religious holidays. It's refusing to do a part of your job you knew about when you took the job that pisses me off.

If it weren't for the internet and social networking I have no doubt we would be in the middle of a second dark age right now.

there was a news item years ago about a woman bus conductress I think who refused to take her crucifix off for work there was quite a big hoo- hah about it and I think she was sacked but not sure.
I can't quite see why it is such a big deal I quite like the idea of knowing where people stand and given so many people have religious artifacts about their persons earrings in crosses etc. I think it's rather helpful to know

Not if it affects their job performance. Like the woman in Kent. that wouldn't give same sex marriage licenses. There was one deal a baker would not make a cake for same sex weddings. If your religious beliefs interfere with your job description go do something else

@Mike Flora....I agree completely, and I'm a Christian. If its against your beliefs and you knew it would be you shouldn't have accepted the job in the first place! If it seems like a fair workplace but challenges your beliefs later, QUIT AND GET ANOTHER JOB! Nobody owes you anything after you quit, either! That's the breaks and deal with the reality that sometimes life isn't fair. Suck it up! If you got that job, you can find another one, and just be glad you have the job skills to find another one.

That Kim Davis lady in kent. it wasn't just her job. it was the law and she still tried not to do it.

@MikeFlora And last I heard, she was in Europe promoting family values for some religious organization.

Nothing new... where you been?

I am saddened to remember when I lived in Liverpool (UK), I tried to buy a lottery ticket but the (only) woman behind the counter proudly told me she couldn't sell me one because it's gambling and her religion is against it. Needless to say I didn't win.

I would've reported her. That's part of her job description; if she refuses to do a task on her job, she should be fired.

Religious beliefs are notv rational, dwelling betwixt illusion and delusion.So it is not a stretch to consider those who decide that their "long held" religious concepts are functionally illusory and should be ignored by the rational members of society.
When asked about gods, the Klingon said; "Gods ? We got rid of them all, they were not worth the trouble they caused."

Most countries function very well with religious tolerance in the work place. I think you have to define 'doing your job' and how they are not 'doing their job' because of religious convictions. We are getting to a time in the '21st century' where a majority of jobs can be done remotely, and the 8 hour work day will have to be lowered due to the larger population/automation. And I believe your philosophy of life should be more important than your job. But that is my personal opinion, but I would bet if you were required to begin pushing bibles in your job, you might find the same problem.

The bible-pushing argument is flawed, because the person was not required to do that when they took the job. As far as philosophy is concerned, I agree, BUT if your philosophy causes you to not do part of your job, don't take the job in the first place. If you agree to do a job, you should be required to do all of it.

@marga However, rarely does someones philosophy get in the way of their ability to perform their job. Maybe it can effect how the job is done, like, let's say you have to pray 5 times a day, you might be do things differently, but I think doing things differently is fine if the result is the same. And no, the bible pushing wasn't flawed. In one of the few wage slave jobs I had, I had to sell a product that was completely fubar. It was not the job I signed up for. I was morally opposed to selling a faulty item. So my job changed. So if you work in a product sales position, you may wind up pushing bibles. Oh man, I just remembered that a bro of mine had to hawk scientology books way back. He started out selling something innocuous, like some cook book or something, and wound up peddling Xenu...I used to have a ton of those books in my collection...good times, good times...oh, you might want to explain how a philosophy makes you not do your a part of your job (besides, perhaps a pork tester if you are muslim, and obvious things like that).

@JohnnyThorazine If your job changed, then the point is moot. What I'm saying is that if you sign up to do a certain job and you object to parts of that job, then you should not take it. If you still take it, knowing there are parts of it that you object to, then you have not acted in good faith.

@marga but the job didn't change, just the product the job was moving changed. So, no, not moot. But we'll go with your last one. So, you are referring to a muslim signing up for pork flavor testing type of thing? Because I was pretty sure you probably meant that people ask for religious time off. See, what is happening, is the world is going global and people of multiple faiths are gonna be working side by side (if only figuratively, as to my point earlier of remote working will be more common, and a lot of manual labor will by mechanized). That is the 21st century.

@JohnnyThorazine Okay, I think we're talking at cross purposes here, so I'll just let this conversation end....

The moment we allowed gullibility and self worthy take our reasoning faculties, there was nothing left but to infect everything with our religious viruses.

Can you imagine a Catholic Rabbi or a Jewish Immam. What are these people thinking when they take these jobs?

It gets worse, people refusing to obey the law of a country claiming religious views.

One of many, and not just christians.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.