Agnostic.com

2 0

History or mystery

Who has any thoughts on the lost continent of atlantis. And is there in your opinion any basis to believe that it was actually part of the North West corner of afrika. The remnants of which are what is know as the eye of afrika.

darien75 7 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Plato made up Atlantis out of whole cloth, likely inspired by the destruction of the Greek city of Helike. [theness.com]

I personally believe Atlantis is just one of many stories based on the (apparently archetypal) "sunken island/continent" myth (other notable examples include Lemuria, Mu, Rutas, Cantre'r Gwaelod, Lyonesse and Hy-Brassail). These may be have been invented by story-tellers because the concept seems to be psychologically appealing to us, or they may be based on real lands which became inundated during human history, such as Doggerland and various others - which may also be the source of "Great Flood" myths.

People have been looking for it for a very long time and, with a bit of imagination and self-persuasion, they've located various places which could be Atlantis. However, my feeling, shared also by a majority of historians and scientists, is that Atlantis never really existed at all.

Jnei Level 8 Dec 1, 2018

Agreed.

@jlynn37 I hope I'm wrong, though - it'd be pretty cool if someone did one day discover Atlantis. Sames goes for the Loch Ness Monster, orgone, ghosts, ESP and Gef The Talking Mongoose. I won't hold my breath while I wait for any of them, however. 🙂

I think when they look at Gobekli Teki and Baalbek, they are seeing examples of the pre-flood civilisation before 12000 B.C. Atlantis might be a term used to carry the notion of any particular city that went under the waters of that flood.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:235085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.