Agnostic.com

14 5

Science and Psychedelics

I thought of myself as something akin to an antitheist until I tried psilocybe semilanceata. Incredible that ingesting a certain fungus managed to shake up my world view sufficiently so as to change my mind about the existence of something greater than, yet also myself (I am still unsure as to how to label it. 'God' seems like it would be misconstrued, but we can get into that in the comments).

The thing about taking psychedelics is that the experience cannot be expressed with words. I lament the lack of scientific study of these compounds that have such profound effects on the human brain. In a way that brings me to my question.

Where do you draw the line that science cannot cross?

GilbertusAlbans 4 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What you experienced was your own self, your own brain and your imagination. There is nothing outside of your brain that can enter your conciousness when under the influence of psychedelics. Just like there is nobody but your own mind in your dreams,. It is all you. Rejoyce!

Oh, line that science cannot cross. Hm. I think science, like everything else, evolves. Listen to some contemporary physicists, and you'd think they were tripping ... on something. So, I think, some might still have the laboratory idea of repeatable experiment as the only valid avenue into science. But that hasn't been true ... ever. I mean, we know about our solar system, from observation, not experiments. Our universe. So, I recon, more and more, the psychic reality will be accepted as part of what can be described in terms of science, by observation. Sharing many peoples observations. But there has to be an open mind, that does not immediately dismiss someone else's observation or any inner realities. Our minds are after all what makes us ... communicate. Aware. Conscious. Science will have to tackle the hard problem of consciousness.

Read "Breaking open the Head' by Daniel Pinchbeck. You might love it. I did. I myself had some pretty head shattering experiences just on plain old Cannabis. Complete with ... stuff that was very bizzare indeed. It changed my outlook, but not the direction as such, as I had been fairly open minded before my 'trip'.

No, no, not a line. We want clearly define areas of doubt and uncertainty. I had a good time with LSD and mushrooms, although the hamsters that seemed to be inhabit my bag from time to time were annoying.

I agree. Matter is another form of energy.
Taking certain herbs, meditation, etc., can make one aware that we are one with the energy of the entire universe and that we are all connected.
People who deny that maybe don't believe in Einstein.

Psylocybe Cubensis - I could use a couple of those wonder fungi. They have such a unique way of improving my all around attitude...

at the supposed supernatural. I've done mushrooms and acid all my life and am certain that I am an ant on a rock PERIOD

I have had similar experiences. There is some evidence that there is some kind of religious center in our brains. Psychedelics likely activate it. I understand what you are saying. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Buddhist experience of Satori, or, in Western terms, "enlightenment" is real. Still, this seems far from the Western concept of "God".

To quote the Grateful Dead: "What shall we say? Shall we call it by a name? As well to count the angles dancing on a pin? Water bright as the sky from which came ..."

One Buddhist monk, when first introduced to LSD, stated that it would save 10 years of instruction for individuals seeking enlightenment.

Far from the western term "God". or "The Tao that can be named is not the Tao."

That's interesting. I had a lot of great experiences, but none of them convinced me of anything divine. I had one really horrible experience and that that convinced me there was no God. It took me a while to come to terms with it, but I think that was the turning point.

I'm with you on researching psychedelics. Further, I'm tired of terrified virgin brains standing in the way of progress.

The "line" of science is ever advancing.

@MadHadderoll, I think this one's for you...

Picture if you may the early 70's... beautifully made mescaline... we are going up hill to the top of a hill where only access to the top is via a rope... we want to get to the top because buddy has a tent there, the view of all San Juan at night was worth it... and we lost our pipe... there are rolling papers in the tent, it is dark and buddy tell us to climb the rope with care because it is tied up to the neck of a horse. It is not until you get to the top you realize is not a horse is a tree... but the experience to climb a rope tied to the neck of a horse was worth the trip. What can I say? We all climbed and then we realized... nobody had matches, were left in the car. So we all went back down... and we forgot the rolling papers in the tent. Great trip, I can still laugh about it.

nothing scientific can be proven without mathematical evidence , you just on a mind trip like we did in the 60.s been there, done that, what degree you taking?

Imaginary lines now?

If a claim can't be tested it is beyond the reach of science.

@jayneonacobb - being the Devil's Advocate " If a claim can't be tested it CURRENTLY is beyond the reach of science". Things change, and we as a species are constantly improving our methodologies.

@RobCampbell I agree, but the God theory can't be disproven because it's untestable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23705
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.