Agnostic.com

5 1

First Lettuce, Then Ground Turkey, and Now This....

twshield 8 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe because Food & Drug has been gutted?

In a few more months we're going to run out of food that's safe to eat.

If you ever buy a side of beef and have it well ground it will ruin you on regular store bought hamburger forever.

@twshield It tastes so different. Makes you wonder wth they do to it in the 1st place in stores. Oh wait, it's a bunch of cows, instead of one.

I think any food contaminated with salmonella can be cooked to kill it. Even lettuce.
USDA info on salmonella, including handling and cooking foods.
@RavenCT
[fsis.usda.gov]

We told you about Turkeygeddon right? About my BIL hitting both counters - a cutting board - the sink - a dish towel (fabric) and the kitchen stove all with uncooked turkey - then flying out the carpeted stairs to the front door with it dripping juice everywhere?

I was the only adult person in the kitchen (six other adults mind you) who moved and I walked over to my sister and said "Where do you keep the bleach?".
All those years in Human Services keep me dead calm in almost any crisis.

I believe her first words were "What did my husband do now?". She could not see what he was doing from where she was.

It was like watching a full on adult game of Statue and everyone unfroze when I said "The bleach wipes are under the sink".

@RavenCT No, you didn't tell me. How exactly did he hit all those surfaces with raw turkey? What was he doing?

@bingst He was rinsing the turkey under the water in the sink - and then he was putting a metal hanger in it to put it in the fryer outside. That was that really bitter cold day we had here in the Northeast? I had no idea he was such an utter menace in the kitchen - right up until that very moment. Now I know why my sister keeps getting "Stomach bugs" so often.

@bingst Oh man we're still reliving it here. We were so cautious here in comparison - the next day with our turkey? I wore gloves.
I did all that stuff - in the sink and then used Ajax - on the sink.

No other surfaces were touched. Everything got disposed of. Paper towels were used.
And then I used soap up to my elbows. And the trash bag went out to the dumpster.

You had to see how calm my sister was when I asked where the bleach was? She said "What's Bob doing?". She just knew!

Add to that he came back in the house with a bleeding cut on his turkey juice covered hand. To say we were all squicked it putting it mildly. rofl

@RavenCT damn lol. Did you wash with soap the actual kitchen sink fixture? When I do that with ppl around they're often surprised, often saying "I hadn't thought of that." 😛

@bingst Oh yes - the bleach wipes of course and then soap and water. All of that. Soap is the most basic line of defense.

I thought about burning the dish towel? But putting it in the laundry was probably enough?

Now my BIL - he might need a Hazmat team!

Umm... correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't proper cooking kill salmonella?

@twshield Could it not be a high enough temp? Different temps for different meats? I don't dare watch. I'll stop being able to eat meat again. lol

Yes, you are correct.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:237083
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.