Agnostic.com

31 9

Believer Bashing?

Please explain to me the apparent need to condemn people that do believe? I really just do not understand this. Why would we choose to be anything other than open to acceptance and kind to others? I will never understand it when someone wants the freedom to make their own choices while condemning someone else for theirs. I really do wish we would all learn to show respect before we demand it.

Dida 7 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, can I say can of worms? I get where dida is coming from though. I know some really smart people who believe because they consider their personal experience as evidence. It's a logic trap, but I wouldn't call them stupid just because they believe. Once upon a time I believed, and the change in perspective was a long and hard process. Lumping believers all together as stupid is no different than stereotyping any group. That being said, there is such a thing as the off color joke, but bashing and having a laugh are not the same.

I think it depends on who we're "talking to." When we're dealing with a demonstrated homophobe who wants to make it impossible for a gay person to make a living or who wants to enact laws that will subjugate them to second-class citizens, then we must absolutely condemn them. When they attack women and go after women's health, we must condemn them. To be open and accepting of others means that we must also deal with those who would harm others. We cannot stand on the sidelines.

Even at a personal level, if someone wants to tell me they don't "believe" in evolution, I'm not going to necessarily engage. But if they decide that they have to tell me WHY, then I'm going to engage. And I'm at the point where I no longer feel the need to be "gentle." There's no excuse for them not to know this. The evidence has been there for decades now.

If someone close to me wants to believe in God, and even wants to pray for me, but they pray for me that God will make my life 'better,' I have no problem with that. If their god is about love and compassion, then I have no problem with that. But if their god is a homophobic, child-molesting, women-abusing, warmongering genocidal asshole, then I'm not going to pretend that it's okay for them to believe that.

I agree whole heartedly, but don't you wish christians wouldn't go round imposing their beliefs on others -I've never had muslims or jews or any other faith system knocking on my door or stopping me in the street

I don't think anyone sits here and actively wants to bash anyone else. But when you get two opposing groups in a room and let them discuss and share their views. Tensions will rise, and things will be said.

I think that's what really goes on.

I don't like anyone bashing anyone. I understand why people do it, and I know it's not my place to tell anyone what to do, so I keep my mouth shut about it, generally. But i don't get close to people who like to bad-mouth habitually. It signals a critically flawed character, I think. (Not the same as blowing off steam.)

IRL if it gets really bad I'll say I don't want to hear it, or remove myself.

I am with you on this completely, whatever floats your boat, you said it for me thank you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23736
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.