Agnostic.com

4 5

The Christian’s Guide to Ex-Christians: Ex-timonies and Deconversion Stories.

~by Captain Cassidy from "Roll To Disbelieve"

I should have guessed that one of these fine days Christians would discover ex-Christians and our custom of sharing deconversion stories, or (as we often call them) ex-timonies. As usual, Christians have totally gotten the whole matter wrong about these stories–and they’ve revealed a few very unpleasant aspects of their own tribe in the doing. So here, at last, is the real skinny: here’s what an ex-timony actually is, who tells them and why, and how they differ from Christians’ testimonies.

A Quick Primer: Christian Testimonies.

A Christian testimony is a narrative that Christians are encouraged to develop and rehearse after they either convert to or confirm their faith, in order to share it with both Christians and non-Christians.

Usually, a testimony takes three parts. First, the pre-conversion life (which is meant to sound either hopeless and dreary, or else wracked with dysfunction, or else excitingly fast-living–but in all cases the Christian longs for something more). The second part moves into the conversion moment itself, often presented in conjunction with some miraculous occurrence. And the third inevitably involves how much happier and better the Christian thinks life is since conversion; this last part will often be an exact inversion of the first part.

All three of these elements are typically exaggerated at least.

If aimed at audiences that are largely already part of the correct flavor of Christianity, then the testimony is offered up as a way of reinforcing tribal beliefs and to gain the tale-bearer some attention. If aimed at other audiences, particularly at those who are hostile to the tale-bearer’s ideology, then it will be told with an eye more toward selling the Christian’s ideology to those folks. If you like narrative structures as much as I do, then you might find them interesting from that standpoint!

Remember, though, that these stories are developed for a reason that goes well beyond just seeking camaraderie and attention. Christians think that testimonies are excellent sales tools, and so every Christian within these groups must have a testimony. Most Christian websites have at least a few pages devoted to the task of creating and honing an adherent’s testimony, and Christians can easily find books and video series as well.

And what’s so comical is that Christians are actually flat-out wrong about the power of testimonies as a sales tool.

In reality, I’d be hard-pressed to think of anybody I’ve ever known who heard a testimony and was impressed by it–even (especially?) if it involves miracles. I’m including my actual years as a true-blue Christian in that count–and boy, was that a deflating experience. Typically most people know to discount any mentions of miracles at all, especially claims of miraculous turnarounds in personality. But as with any other bad or wrong idea that enters into the ideology of a broken system, now that this misplaced trust in the power of testimonies has entered into Christians’ belief system, it can no longer be examined or criticized.

(You’ll know when Christians are finally starting to get serious about their churn rate when they start asking what really works to reverse their declines.)

Ex-timonies.

A successful deconversion means that at some point you realize there is absolutely no going back to Christianity. You realize that you have seen enough, that you couldn’t possibly believe it again even if you wanted to. It’s not a case of God “changing the locks” when you leave the house, it’s more a matter of realizing that faith is not a sound guide to what is true. ~ThereAndBackAgain, May 2017

Now that we’ve lined up what testimonies are and why they’re created and told, we’re ready to look at what deconversion stories, or ex-timonies, are.

An ex-timony is a usually-spontaneous telling of the story of a Christian’s deconversion from the religion. No websites, books, or videos exist to coach an ex-Christian in making these. That said, they do usually feature an essentially three-act structure as well. Usually the first part of the story involves establishing the person’s Christian bona fides through a quick summary of their time in the religion. The second part involves the moment that they finally realized that they’d been sold a bill of goods about Christianity–though sometimes their deconversion follows a series of small discoveries and is more a drifting-out experience than a dramatic ending. And the third involves how they’re doing since deconverting. Sometimes the third act is an inversion; often, however, it isn’t.

Read more at [patheos.com]

Dougy 7 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know that you can claim that NO ex-timony has AT ALL in mind to convince one's ex-compatriots in the faith, or at least to be credible to them. It might be a fool's errand, but there's a human tendency to want to have a little acknowledgment and validation for the decades one invests in being an accepted, bona-fide, and even acclaimed member of a belief system. It hurts to suddenly be labeled "never truly one of us" just for leaving. I attended Bible institute for a year, which is more formal theological training than most Christians actually have; I was a member of the music and communications operations of multiple churches, gave generously of time and $$, and was always considered a pillar of the church. I don't claim that my deconversion story was not written with my former tribe in mind, at least subconsciously. I think it's a little dishonest to claim that ex-timonys are fundamentally DIFFERENT or that they aren't influenced by the practice of "giving your testimony" that we were acculturated to in the church.

That said, yes, they are more about finding acceptance and common cause in the NEW group and they are far less presented with the pretense that they constitute any sort of evidence or proof that Christianity is "wrong".

Also, a big part of my motivation was to provide comfort and acceptance to other deconverts, to help them realize they are not alone in their painful experiences that led to and followed their deconversion.

The editor of this newsletter was in a few different churches , one of them a Pennecostal cult of sorts . As a result , she is very much a staunch supporter of what you said was a big part of your motivation . This is my motivation as well 👍

It truly is quite insidious how they "sell" their delusions.

They have had 2000 years to perfect and fine tune it.

@jlynn37 Indeed they have. Odd, isn't it, how they've benefited so much from science, to perfect their use of mind-control?

@KKGator Not odd at all since religion is just another franchise business model.

Very interesting.

That’s where any similarities to Christian testimonies end. And I’m inclined to believe that even that similarity exists not because ex-Christians are imitating Christians’ testimonies, but because a three-act structure like we see in testimonies and ex-timonies just appeals to us as people. Even then, within that three-act structure we can detect a number of other dissimilarities between an ex-timony and a testimony.

As to the motivations for telling these stories, ex-Christians use them as a sort of introduction to ex-Christian groups. It’s a way of establishing and finding camaraderie–and of having your experiences validated by people who really, truly get you because we’ve all been through something similar. And, too, telling an ex-timony is an act of personal triumph over what is often a very oppressive and abusive ideology. Often the emotion I see pouring out of someone who’s just given an ex-timony for the first time is relief. They’ve finally told their personal truth; they’ve finally come clean.

That feeling of relief and that acceptance are usually the only tangible rewards that an ex-Christian can expect after giving an ex-timony. Nobody’s going to give them money, a book contract, or a preaching job based upon it, that’s for sure. And if their ex-timony is ever connected back to them personally, then they might well expect some serious retaliation in the form of Christian love from their former tribemates.

Sometimes a former Christian leader (like Jerry DeWitt a few years ago) will try to move into a similar role post-deconversion, but their ex-timony won’t be how that happens–as opposed to how a Christian with a super-dramatic testimony might well try to springboard off of that testimony into a leadership role in Christianity, as Mike Warnke and Tony Anthony did for a while before being exposed as fakes. The last difference I can think of off the bat is that I’ve never heard of an ex-timony that turned out to be untrue, unlike how many Christian testimonies turn out to be wildly embellished if not fabricated from whole cloth. I’m sure it’s happened at some point, but veracity just isn’t a problem that ex-Christians need to worry about.

At any rate, after the ex-timony is given, then the person who gave it is now part of the group. From there, it’s what we do moving forward that matters most.

And gang, there are many many thousands of ex-timonies out there nowadays. From this blog’s own official forum to big sites like ex-Christian.net, ex-Christians have more ways than ever to tell their stories.

It was only a matter of time before Christians noticed what we were up to–and warped and mischaracterized ex-timonies to suit their own grabby pushes for dominance.

Read more at [patheos.com]

Dougy Level 7 Feb 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23784
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.