Agnostic.com

8 2

A couple of years back we attempted to start the Nationa Atheist Party. It failed for various reasons. One of those was not enough social media support for the group. We had over 300 members at one time but I believe it can be larger and stronger.

Your thoughts and suggestions?

SageDave 7 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with some others that politically, it may be challenging to get this demographic mostly on one platform. Plus, while I consider myself atheist, I often use the term Humanist, simply because this expresses better what I believe in. Personally, I think our Freethought Equality Fund (PAC) may be a more useful route to getting the Nones elected..
[freethoughtequalityfund.net]

Thank you all. The party's website is still up at USANAP.org, but has not been updated since 2012.

One of the reasons for the failure was the lack of cohesiveness among atheists, agnostics, and seculars. Politically, we are all over the board, from Trump conservatives to Sanders liberals.

There are a few issues where we are generally in agreement, separation of church and state being the primary issue. Women's reproductive rights a second. However, a new platform needs to be written. I believe the 527 incorporation is still good, so the political party still "exists."

Your continued comments are most appreciated.

NAP, what we are all doing while they are at church.

I would like to go back to the old ways of organizing. Yes, social media is a great way to connect to people all over the world, but I think the old pounding of the pavement, and having in-person meetings regarding how to organize in your own town has been lost in recent years. In other words, it would be awesome if in my own state, I could communicate with, and personally meet people like me, and have once a week sessions where we can organize. I agree the word 'atheist' brings on a negative vibe to some, but it really shouldn't.

I agree with andygee. I suggest you change the name of the group as National Atheist Party doesn't paint a positive picture in my mind. I also find it has negative connotations. Fix it and your membership will grow.

SamL Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

Yes, National Atheist Party sounds like an extreme right-wing party, like the nazis.

Well, you might want to change the name to the Think For Yourself party. That way you would get your freethinkers and maybe some people who actually do think for themselves, whatever it is they think, and not be scared away by the word "atheist."

Freedom party - free from religion, elites, free from crazy rules and mass incarceration. Oh yeah, and free from war. Let’s spend that money on domestic policies so we stop policing and ruining the rest of the world.

Is there a way to get more information about it?

One of our goals is to have 1M+ members within the next 3 years. Happy to get your suggestions too 🙂

Admin Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

Well, if you want to leverage political power with a million members, you need to have a platform , a catch phrase, and a poster child. If you just want a million members, do the "tell two friends" thing. You've got an oasis of reasonable and polite discourse, a welcome break from FB.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2380
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.