Agnostic.com

4 0

Can Patriotism as religion encourage a sense of superiority by those who clain to be Patriots? Does it demand the same level of respect,loyalty and deference that religion does ? Is this really a bad requirement?

Marine 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Geez, exactly how much footage of Germans worshipping Hitler do you watch, exactly? And JUST STOP THAT NOW!

You are way off base as it has nothing to do with Germans or Nazi's.

Both are bad.

If it wasn't for patriots you might not be enjoying the life you have. Thay are buried in many cemetaries all over the world.

@Marine Tell me more.

Patriotism is not defined the same way by everyone.
I have no use for it.
Just like I have no use for religion.

See my reply above.

@Marine I saw it.

I consider myself a Patriot meaning I respect and am loyal to the concepts of our Constitution, military laws,and the laws of of country. It does not mean I accept bad laws or the or the neglect in upholding the merits of the Constitution such as the separation of church and state which is so prevalent at this time.A patriot can question and seek to correct what appears to be mistakes like opposing the right of a woman to do with her body as she wishes or protect the rights of the LGBT community or to protest a war that is wrong.Religion on the other hand does not appear to give it's members this freedom of action. It seems cannon law is without flaws and must be adhered to. This is a great wrong. Just look how many years catholics were condemned to hell for eating meat of Friday but the military could always do it and by rule of the pope so can all catholics now. This means there is a difference between Patriotism and religion.

My country right or wrong. When it is right keep it right, when it is wrong make it right.

Not all religions are like that.

@WilliamFleming Define one that isn't.

@Marine

In my opinion real religion is a personal subjective set of experiences and a way of life. That kind of religion requires no organization whatsoever, and certainly not one that demands respect, loyalty, and deference.

So far as religious organizations that don’t require those things, you have Unitarians that require nothing. Quakers, New Thought Churches, and many others require nothing, not even belief. I think in general, Protestant Churches require belief in a creed, but as far as demanding respect, loyalty, and deference, no.

I grew up in a Baptist Church, and other than affirming belief in Baptist doctrines, there were no demands. There is no hierarchy of power—ministers answer to the members of each church, and they habitually get fired by vote. There is no one to demand anything. A Baptist Church could switch to Islam by a simple vote if it wanted to.

@WilliamFleming OK

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.