Agnostic.com

15 2

Pascal's wager

• 30 votes
  • 2 votes
Mangoes 5 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If their god is all knowing and all that, wouldn't it see right through their thinly veiled attempt to fool it?

LOL 1 loner

Fire insurance for the sake of fire insurance???? If there were really a god, wouldn't "he" (in his omniscience) know that the person's true intention was to save their own ass? Chances are they burn in hell forever... lol hahahaha

This is the worst argument in the case for god- much worse than the argument from design, which makes sense to a certain extent, though ultimately flawed. So you believe because if god is real, and you didn't believe in him you'll be doomed, so better to believe in god to avoid punishment, just in case. That's so tawdry and fake that I think it makes a better argument against god.

It's a misleading idea and one that promotes immortality as a sort of insurance policy. It is about taking the easy way (this is what religion is about after all) instead of a true, reasoned stance. It's for weak robots.

A disgusting and immoral bet .

Narcissistic as ****

What is narcissistic ? My comment or the bet ? please

It's BS if God is 100% all-knowing, powerful, and loving.

Fuck Pascal's wager. It's all about Ricky's Challenge...

I like to think that his wager was good but then to apply it to all of the possible gods, yes his time things. I still can't believe in a god that procreates and then causes those to make it like it/him.

Pascal’s wager is BS because even if you chose to believe in a god to hedge your bets, which god is the one true god? None of them. Atheists 1,000,000 - Theists 0.

Yes, the application of psychological research vs the indoctrination teachings of supposed preachers.

I try to maximize the number of gods that I believe in that don't have a "one God only" policy. I'm hoping these gods can protect me from the more pissy gods.

It's a reasonable way to introduce the idea of expected value. There's nothing wrong with the mathematical side of his Pascal's idea. We just don't agree on the parameters.

I voted "Not BS" because I can only believe that the proposal was intended to (a) be ironic, 🍺 have the irony slip right past most of the people hearing it, and ☕be something to chew over for anyone who got it. Pascal's time was right in the crossover of fervent true belief getting shoved aside by reason.

I concur with the logic you have given. Yet, some of the destruction of the library of Alexandria could also account for the psychology of giving and or hiding and I am going to do anything to keep it going. Remember, the Catholic organization only apologized to Galileo in 1992.

Interesting proposal; but the argument itself, as proposed by people who actually take it seriously, is bullshit.

Hotdog. Not hotdog.

Admin Level 9 Oct 28, 2017

Is that a Silicon Valley reference?

Damn it, Jin Yang!

Yes, a Silicon Valley reference 🙂

Pascal's wager is one of the biggest excuses that mildly religious people make to maintain their belief in God and I think it's a pile of stinkin' BS.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.