Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK Is it time to reevaluate behaviours, for all of us?

Sexism is not always meant as an unkindness, but it can still leave a woman feeling less respected, belittled, and underestimated.

Donotbelieve 9 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, aren't we all men and women, the core of sexism. It's not a problem to make a difference, it's just the value that is put on the differences that is the problem. It's a competition of who is the best, who is worth more for this human race, the man or the woman. Personally, I guess it's the woman part, but still I see men and women not as equal but I do value them equal. The male body is stronger so it has to fulfill tasks that is related to that. A woman can have children and needs the man just for a few minutes, but the guy often makes his role invaluable, just by saying so.
No, I enjoy accepting the differences realizing that my behavior is a little different towards women than towards men. Not because one or the other is better, but just because one is a man and one is a woman.
That's all.

Gert Level 7 Dec 25, 2018

I'm pretty much of the belief that if we treat everybody with politeness and good manners regardless of anything other than the way they treat others we can all get a long pretty well.

@Donotbelieve Exactly, facts and ideas don't have genders , an inspiration or moment of genius can come from anyone, regardless of if they stand or sit to urinate.

@Donotbelieve it is true unfortunately a weak bladder is no respecter or person on gender either 😟

Empathy and compassion for all helps, without patronizing.

Interesting. A guy who used to work with me in my office said he could tell by my voice if I was talking to a man or woman on the phone. Of course, that was 30 years ago. I've learned a lot since then, mainly from my wife and daughter. I hope I'm rid of even the benevolent sexism, that I'm sure I got from the era I grew up in.

@Donotbelieve Thank you.

I guess I am one of those kind sexists, although I think that I am an equal opportunist when it comes to showering my environment with gifts of kindness and courtesy. I might seem a little over the top when it comes to the elderly and the physically challenged, but I'm pretty sure that I could produce a graph or pie chart to show that my kindness and assistance is split nearly perfectly (within the 3% margin of error of your average crayon), between the two sexes. I have a few feminist friends who have no problem calling me an asshole in the middle of a busy grocery store...sometimes with considerable volume, but I am 100's of times more likely to hear the friendly greeting of "Hey Dickhead", from men and women alike, when I walk into my local Pub....so I'm gonna just put a little check in the win column.

Times change, and we must change with them or, at least, adapt. Shouldn’t we always be reevaluating ouselves and our behaviors?

@Donotbelieve Many of the social conventions mentioned in the article relate to things experienced by people with disabilities: Customs that superficially may seem “nice,” but disempower and disrespect. Still, I think of “sexism,” and I think first about stuff like equal pay for equal work, legal barriers ...

@Donotbelieve In the mental health community, we talk about “benevolence stigma.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238959
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.