Agnostic.com

16 4

What is the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard that people actually believe?

The first time that I heard Mormons baptize their underwear and are forbidden to take them off... I rolled in laughter. Now every time I hear the word "Mormon," it draws up the image of holy underwear.

What ridiculous belief have you heard?

silvereyes 8 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I attended parochial schools through the 12th grade. Even as a 5th grader I was suspect of the idea of virgin birth. To the best of my knowledge artificial insemination, human cloning or in vitro fertilization didn't come along until many centuries later. That single concept was the tipping point of my skepticism and alerted me to the fact that these people dressed in funny robes might be delusional and not to be trusted. Original sin is a good one too...the idea we are all guilty right out the chute for something two naked people did in some mythical garden at the beginning of time is...well...you see where I'm going with this...

On a political note, people that believe the mainstream news media tells the truth, that the twin towers collapsed completely symmetrically into its own footprint in a matter of seconds because of an airplane crashing into its side, that Oswald killed Kennedy...old news, I know, but no less ridiculous. Its been my experience that those who buy into the government narrative also buy into the god narrative.

For a start let me say, In India if we cross a road and a black cat cross our path , you are doomed.

If you see a single mynah(a type of bird which usually appear in pair) somebody might die.

Our people are supers... 😀

Most bizarre for me is scientology , somehow though they're doing okay

The Koran says it is acceptable to release you sexual appetite into a goat or sheep if a women isn't available to rape, rather than masterbation.

Not accurate bud ,, it's a fucked up book but I read it and it doesn't say that anywhere

Hmmmm.... so far it’s superstitions too many to mention but all of them equally ridiculous

True all religion is dogmatic an serves only as a human control vector.

I meant superstition as a whole not just about religion

Human control Vector ...good name for a band

Most of us have heard that people from Eastern Europe are superstitious. In a previous job, I worked with a guy, whose family is from Ukraine. They moved to the U.S., when he was 7 years old. Being in his early twenties, he had gone to school, and lived most of his life, here. He, and his family were devout Baptists. And, his family believed in some really crazy stuff. For instance, they believed that witches, and black magic are real. One time, he suggested that there was a dome over the Earth, and the stars were actually "holes, allowing in light, from the other side". He told me that his grandfather "had seen Satan, in the form of three pumas." From our many conversations, I could tell that his family's pastor had poisoned their minds, against science. He was a nice guy, but intellectually, he was a basket case.

that one is able to reincarnate into an animal . Riiiighht

On an atomic level we have all been an will again be part of an animal. Like now, a animal with the delusional idea it's not an animal. Lol crazy himans

For me there are several:

1. Flat Earthers
  2. The Earth is only 6000 years old
  3. We never landed on the moon

At 12, the one I couldn't believe and still think is hilarious and disturbing is that they truly believe in immauclate conception/virgin birth. Please. Aliens implanting a hybrid fetus is more believable and that's just as far fetched. Girlfriend did the nasty with someone or there were no babies. It wasn't in vitro fertilization, so she wasn't a virgin.

Too many to choose, but people who take buybull stories literally. What about those who think god allows people to die in natural disasters, but takes the time out to find their car keys? Self centered and idiotic. I hope I'm not being disrespectful. LOL

A talking snake offering wisdom to the first woman.
A talking donkey saving a guy from a vengeful angel.
The earth stopping spinning from 24,000 mph without everything flying off and then starting up again just as fast.
A guy parting the red sea and everybody walking through with walls of water on both sides.
Zombies coming out of their graves and walking around in Jerusalem without anybody noticing.
Mohammed flying to heaven on a winged horse.
Salt water and fresh water not being able to mix.
That so many actually believe this BS in 2017 and our school doesn’t bother to teach them any better.

gearl Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

Uhhh. One thousand. If the earth spun at 24000 mph a day would be about an hour long. Sorry carry on.

@JLFowler I stand corrected.

Ha- I never knew that- it draws up the idea of nasty, stained underwear to me. But one of the most ridiculous beliefs is that of Santeria- where people sacrifice animals, or leave rotten eggs in their homes to either fend off evil spirits, or to put the whammy on someone they don't like. There was a guy once who practiced Santeria, and thought he could make himself invisible, so when the police went to question him concerning a murder he'd committed, they played along acting as if they couldn't see the perpetrator right in front of their eyes, and the guy tried to walk out of the police station- saw this a while back on one of those crime shoe documentaries- hysterical!

I find 'omnists' pretty hard to believe, as they take a little of all religions to make their own 'special truth' about the divine. To me that is truly laughable and also why I probably don't like the term spiritual, as it seems to be a catch-all for "I don't really know what I believe".

I find the lizard kings pretty amusing, along with the virgins in heaven for both muslims and mormons , along with getting your own planet with both mormons and scientologists. All nuts!

I was stationed in a small town in Turkey in the late 60's. People did not want their pictures taken because they believed that doing so would rob them of their souls?!

That masterbation is a sin and God /Jesus is watching you.

Silly, Jesus is watching and he likes it.

The biblical story that God created the earth. and the sun, moon, and stars, and all of life in six days, just has to take that cake.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2390
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.