Agnostic.com

9 1

Any universalist/unitarian experience?

I have a humanitarian cousin and another acquaintance who are universalist/unitarians that have encouraged me to take part in their activities, knowing that I am basically an atheist. Anyone here have any experience with universalist/unitarian groups. I'be been told they just celebrate life and nature and try to have a close community of caring like-minded folks.

RedRiverRogue 5 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While not a Unitarian Universalist myself, I have very succesfully interacted with them through the years. In my state they were the only church willing to actually be helpful in the fight for marriage equality - let us use their facilities to set phone banks & host meetings, assist with publicity, donate funds, offer us coffee, donuts, hot cocoa when we were out in the cold November days canvassing among hostile religiou$ fanatics, etc. Just for that I will ever hold a place in my heart for the UU's. But there's more to them - they contribute to the needy in society building houses for the homeless, feeding the hungry, taking honorable causes other religions won't touch. Very reasonable people, kind & promoters of education, reason & science. I am an atheist and gay. And I would be welcome to join them if I wanted. Try that at other churche$.

I currently attend a UU church. I haven't joined, but I enjoy the services. The people there are very welcoming and they don't expect you to check your mind at the door. I started going because my wife and I have different beliefs, and she didn't like going to atheist group meetings.

I don't feel that I need to attend a fellowship for religion's sake. I do find that I need the fellowship of like-mindedness where I can discuss my own theories and listen to those of others to expand our minds without someone attempting to convert me.
I attended UU churches in 2 states.
In the 1st church I attended their services but not their activities, at the 2nd I attended their activities but not their services. Both were all inclusive and welcoming. In the larger city, there were gatherings for many different types of thought from "Orthodox" ritual Christianity, to Holiness, Charismatic, to Witchcraft and Paganism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and more.

The Xtians there were few, as there were other churches available around the area to attend. Most of the ones that were there, were married to someone of a differing faith. You generally joined in with the group that felt right to you. I bounced from room to room each week, and it peaked my interest at that time in studying other world religions and mythologies.

Donna Level 6 Dec 24, 2017

I have been a member of several UU churches for many years. Each church has its own feel. Much prefer the west coast versions. Find them much more friendly and less Christian. My local church has a large humanist group. And lots of agnostics and atheists. I would say I go for community, and find being out in nature spiritual. I class myself as an atheist, god-less pagan, humanist. As an atheist you would certainly be welcome at my church. I have a large family, and look at my church as "extended family of choice". As a UU, I consider that I am searching for what brings truth and meaning for me, and it is a life long search.

I've had past years, on and off, of attending UU meetings. Generally they are accepting of all - or no beliefs, and welcome everyone, regardless of race, sexual orientation or any other divisive title.

I did find that each group can be very different though, based on location, who leads the group, their agenda, and the general make-up of the members.

Best thing to do if you're curious, is to attend several meetings and get a feel of the inner workings to see if it's a good fit for you. UU can provide a comforting home base, and an open minded and accepting forum to express your thoughts ! Worth a try ...

Been a founder of two UU Fellowships. mainy because I was in small conservative areas and needed to get a like minded group togeather for my own sanity!

mzee Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

I looked into it, because the only thing I mis abotu religion is the sense of community and belonging. Although the unitarians do gladly accept atheists, as they are wholly nondenominational, I decided I experienced shurch life already and wantd to see what other experiences there were out there. Also, Unitarians do also accept believers too, and I didn't want to deal with them either.

Each UU church is a little different. I’ve found them to be open and accepting. Many members do Not adhere to one specific religion, but follow a couple. Change many to almost all. Generally they seem to ask questions and Not follow directions, unless it involves coffee or beer. The Harrisburg UU has rules against proselytizing of any flavor of religion and I suspect most UU churches have that rule.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

I went with a friend once and we happened to go on a day when two atheists were doing the “sermon”. I loved the fact that I was sitting in what was essentially a church in looks and feel, but had people talking about these beliefs and the congregation was loving it. I was loving it! I did enjoy the experience but it still felt a little too much like church to me. From time to time I consider going again mainly for the feeling of community and being involved in something. I’d definitely say to give it a try.

Some of the UU churches have smaller groups that get together on a monthly basis. I hang out with the pagan group, they do actives like making soap, mead or artsy - crafty type things. And sometimes they read tarot cards. They also have book club type groups, run a weekly soup kitchen, and some type of scholarship. Maybe the church near you will have small groups with something that interests you.

I forgot to add the Harrisburg UUs like to protest or support protests. I’m not sure if all of them are that way or not. But I think generally they are activists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2393
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.