Agnostic.com

12 3

Anyone else laughing to themselves about the Catholics and the conflict between Ash Wednesday and Valentine's Day? Food restrictions are one of the things about organized religions that I just do not get. What are all your thoughts on that?

Kim78 4 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Food restrictions are a form of dogma created to confuse people about healthy fasting which cures many ailments

I still try to laugh about Catholicism. I tend to think of its priests as well educated swindlers.

I know fasting has benefits, but I never understood why it was necessary to not eat meat on certain religious days, or any food at all. I don't understand a lot of the superstitious crap in religion though.

I used to get ash on my forehead. But I never restricted my diet. I now find the ritual very weird. I do remember that I wiped it off my forehead. I was 17 or 18 I think. That was the last year I practiced Catholicism. But I didn't become an atheist until a decade or so later.

Wow!
Having that much power over people reminds me of the prank TV show in the 1980s where the crew put a small "traffic light" on the counter of a lunch buffet, with a sign above it saying that due to chewing congestion, people must stop eating whenever the red light comes on.

it was hilarious watching men freeze in mid-bite when the light came on, then holding it for 15 seconds before the green light came on. I only saw men doing that on the video clip, though!

I laugh about having the rising from the dead event on a movable pagan holiday.

As a recovering Catholic, I find all of it rather ridiculous.

Sounds like a snooze festival to me. Same for Mardi Gras...more man made crap.

Mardi gras means nothing to me, personally.

However, I was out and about this weekend in New Orleans and EVERYWHERE I looked in all directions and and all times, gazillions of people, many of whom had costumes that clearly took a lot of work and creativity, ALL looked like they were having a rollicking good time. It made me smile.

I have a friend who is a devout Orthodox Jew, and I bite my tongue often. Not only does she avoid particular foods, she misses out on events that she wants to attend because of whatever rituals they do. What's really bizarre is, she is so intelligent, it's almost intimidating. So yeah, I seriously do not get it either... at all.

Oh my gods! We will be selling a lot of fish tomorrow at my restaurant. Ugh... Torture.

Hadn't even thought about it. That's hilarious! Just goes to show what a lousy catholic I was. Forgot all about Lent!

Nothing to laugh about and wait for easter on april fools day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23954
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.