Agnostic.com

10 2

Newbie wants to know if there ere are any yogis in the house?

SarahSiddons 6 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a look everywhere, even under the beds and I can say with confidence that no there are no yogis in the house.

Home-grown kind, perhaps.

I don't consider myself a yogi but I practice yoga on a regular basis. I do it to stretch out my body after cardio and strength exercises but sometimes I'd do a full hour yoga by itself. Although I think I'm a very spiritual person, yoga to me is a purely physical practice that I haven't raised to the spiritual level 😛 I used to meditate daily and that I consider a spiritual practice for my inner self.

As a person who spends too much time in front of a computer, I find yoga extremely helpful for spine health 🙂 I never went to a class and have been just practicing with instructors on video. Who are your favorite instructors?

If you are interested in good online instructors as a starting point let me know. When I got started I was living in very remote areas so YouTube was pretty much my only option. Nowadays I practice at home and do classes every once in a while as a way to check and correct my form after working myself into bilateral knee injuries.

Hi guys, newbie here. I have my pictures uploaded but they don’t appear on my profile yet.

The term “Yogi” can be interpreted in many ways and none is right or wrong. One can be an atheist and practice yoga and call themselves a “Yogi” at the same time. There is nothing wrong with applying positive qualities from other spiritual and even religious practices to your atheist life just like there is nothing wrong with removing thoughts, believes, and practices that aren’t meaningful or that suit you.

For me, besides physical exercise, practicing yoga is a self help tool that only aids my personal growth, deal with stress, stay calm and balanced in difficult situations. All of these qualities help me be more aware. Awareness induces critical thinking. So I only see benefits.
I don’t see it as a contradiction to my being an atheist.

Coda Level 4 Oct 28, 2017

BINGO! (and thank you!)

I have no problem using yoga as a form of moderate exercise, and I have no problem meditating as a way of bringing peace and calm to my mind. These things do not make me any less of an atheist.

I doubt you'll find any yogis here. I'm sure you've realized that based on the responses.

SamL Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

Jellystone Park, "Hey Boo Boo!"

I lived and worked in Yellowstone for 6 months. It was incredible.

I would love to see it.

Yoga has its roots in religious philosophy, even if in the U.S. we tend to only think of Yoga as exercises. "Yogi" as I have heard it used anyways, usually refers to followers of the philosophy instead of a Yoga exercise instructor/practitioner. Persons who just practice the exercises are usually referred to as "practitioners."

You will probably get a lot of reponses like this unless you edit your original post clarifying what you ment.

Most think Buddhism is a religion too, I am unconcerned of how I am perceived as a result.

I don't care too terribly much about how people perceive me either, but I do care about whether or not I am understood, or communicating effectively enough to be understood. My intent was to point out that perhaps you had not communicated what you intended to and to try to make you aware that others may have missed what you intended to say. I am sorry if it came across as something else.

Unfortunately, texts, emails and internet messages don't have any kind of vocal tone in which to take cues on what we mean. I didn't meant o judge, but I can see how it might have been read that way.

I thought the term 'yogi' in the original post was used in a light-hearted fun way, and not in its literal meaning.

??Why?? Do you have a... 'Pic-a-nic Basket'!?!?

Little too chilly out for a picnic in Idaho at the moment!

Sorry... Just a little Cartoon Humor.
Yogi bear from Jelly Stone Park. Was always stealing Pic-a-nic Baskets!!!
I'll shut up... for now. 🙂

From what I have learned from friends and acquaintances over the years, there are 2 parts to the study of yoga, and hence being a yogi; one is simply the study of preparing the body to be able to support the mind while it is doing it's thing, and the other is the study of what the mind "should" be doing.The first type is quite harmless since it is simply preparing the physical body. But the second involves taking on mental attitudes and "beliefs" that are specifically aimed at removing the questioning spirit. So for me, I would not be interested in having anything to do with a full blown Yogi.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.