Agnostic.com

6 4

Yoga styles

Is there a yoga style that dispenses with the philosophy, spiritualism and self help stuff, and just focuses on the poses?

Can I sound any more American?!???

SeekersNeverFind 5 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have wondered the same thing

I've found a couple yogi who mostly dispense with all that and focus on the poses; I think a little bit is still present, but Kanta Barrios (I used her videos, free on Amazon Prime, for starting you) and the yogi at Yoga Upload on YouTube. They both practice vinyasa yoga, which may or may not be power yoga. Most of the Yoga Upload videos are for advanced beginners and above, but she may have some for beginners. She has some classes (videos) that are more gentle too.

You can close your ears and just do it. You know when a woman asks you why the dishes are not done or the bed is unmade. Just like that, pretend nobody is saying anything.

Yeah sadly you could but several hot yoga places are all about the just getting it done but if that’s not your style and you have an Xbox with the eye attachment then you can their yoga workout on disc and the eye attachment is good because it can show you if you’re not quite right with your poses.

Check out the studios and classes in your area. There will be a description of the classes, and I'm sure they would welcome your questions. The studio I go to is light on the philosophy and more about the mechanics of the movements and poses. And then again it might depend on instructor.

Ashtanga can feel downright brutal, depending on the instructor.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:241448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.