Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK Death with Dignity & Death with Complications

Another issue near and dear to me (this was my late partner’s option and I learned a lot about this critical issue. She was a teacher and even used her death to teach). BTW today is her birthday and this is my gift to her.

” California passed a law this autumn that may be problematic. Previously, it had been a felony to advise or encourage another person to commit suicide. It still is, but there is now an exception for the kind of assisted suicide sanctioned by California’s “End of Life Option” law. You’re now free to pester and wheedle grandma all you want, to get your inheritance more quickly. So is the hospital staff—you know, those folks who make big bonuses if they meet budget goals established by the insurance companies. There are already documented cases of insurance companies pushing doctors toward recommending assisted suicide rather than more expensive courses of treatment.”

JackPedigo 9 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The government seems unhappy about the number of suicides bringing down the life expectancy but they should be more concerned with the quality of life instead. A universal health insurance policy might improve life expectancy or a policy like the ones our Congress enjoys.

Unfortunately, one major source of suicides is PTSD from all the wars we keep getting into.

I wonder if that is a reason so few states sign on to Death with Dignity and forget about any euthanasia programs. It might lower the life expectancy numbers (which has been shown to be lower simply because of worsening environmental, health conditions.

@JackPedigo Totally agree

Unintended consequences, was poorly written and not thought out. smh

I re-read the piece and am confused. Please, can you tell me where it was poorly written. I am probably missing something.

@JackPedigo The legislation not the piece.

@JackPedigo I am aware I do not make myself clear. As I read the comments it is like I am conversing in real time, the running dialog. As you know, I approve if the death with dignity but the legislation must also protect the ones making that choice from too early going on. My dilemma is what little there might be to leave I would want to leave to those I trust to make my decisions were I unable and in WA State they can not be the ones benefiting.

@silverotter11 I totally understand your point. I too am often an not clear. Communication is not a set thing and is always open to interpretation. The issue of one's estate is also tricky. Many have family members as beneficiaries and as executors (Unfortunately, I discovered Parvin did not sign her new will leaving her share to different groups and leaving out her kids. The kids are well off and said they support her decision. Now I have to go through probate to clear matters up and include her wishes in my own will). However, I think there is a misunderstanding as after her death I was the one who decided what to do with her personal property and yet am the beneficiary of her financial instruments.

I agree wholeheartedly that it IS the right of the person, AND only that person, to choose when to end their life with honour and dignity, BUT to simply pester some elderly relative to do so just for a gain, financial or whatever, to my mind is tantamount to willful Manslaughter at least.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:241860
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.