Agnostic.com

32 2

How did you come out to your family as atheist (or whatever you identify as)?

I have been considering for a while now how to work in the fact that I no longer subscribe to the beliefs of my family. They are devout, and I can't keep pretending that I still go to church. I know most people say not to make it a big deal, but this is going to be a big deal. Even a fraction of a detail that doesn't coincide with my dad's worldview is going rock the boat and maybe lead to a full interrogation. So how did you folks do it? Do they know the extent of what you believe? Sexuality coming out stories apply here, too!

EarthKate 5 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My family presently are not religious. I have never said anything anyways.

Aggy Level 4 Dec 13, 2018

I never had to. My mother was unhappy when I stopped going to church and stopped making donations to the church, but when she realized that I was donating to other worthy causes instead, she seemed happy enough. In letters she sometimes referred to me as her "infidel son". It didn't seem to bother my father one way or the other (I think he was a closet agnostic).

Just did and they have to deal with it. It’s not easy for me.

I walked into a conversation between my Christian mom and my sister who's a number of years older than me and a science teacher. My Mother just then asked my sister something to the affect or whether she was still a Christian and she said no, the question was then turned to me and I too said no in some fashion (not sure if I said I was an atheist or not outright). Our Mom was visibly displeased, due to how my parents work though nothing much came of it after that.

How old are you?

@EarthKate Then stop lying and tell the truth. He may get angry but so what, you are an adult stand up for yourself. Stop being afraid that he will no longer love you, because if that is the case then his love is conditional.

I did not have much of a problem. Topic hardly came up, because my family were none too devout. You, on the other hand, have much more to beware. If your personal choices are that much of an issue, you are in for a tough time. Be careful; you might well need to communicate this long distance and stick your fingers in your ears.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:242022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.