Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK American ‘Christianity’ Has Failed | Sojourners

I like Sojourners, they tell it like it is.

For the last few years Christians have been singing worship songs that include lyrics like “ keep my eyes above the waves, when oceans rise …” and yet have rejected refugees who’ve seen loved ones die beneath waves, who themselves have literally struggled to keep from drowning in oceans. Those American Christians — particularly white evangelicals — continue to sing the words: “Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders …” but fail to realize the shameful irony that they’re largely responsible for refusing shelter and opportunity to some of the world’s most helpless and oppressed people.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sojourners is a nice sentiment but good luck with reforming something that's inherently corrupt and intellectually dishonest.

It is more than just turning away the foreigner or widow, in the US at least it is embracing the pedophile and serial adulterer or liar or whatever else is expedient to obtain temporal power. The US evangelical movement is much more a political movement than a religious one anymore.

I like Sojourners, too.

Exactly.

Christianity is largely a failure. People who call themselves Christian but fail to act it are not Christian's.

Well, they are a kinder and gentler Christianity, but as an atheist, I feel they are still delusional. The Bible is not all sugar and spice and everything nice

I think that a kinder, gentler evangelical is an oxymoron anymore, at least in the US. Most of the liberal Christians I have met -- and this is truer, the more liberal they are -- hold their faith very loosely and are quite open-minded and accepting, sometimes even of atheism (generally, shy of actually allowing you to official belong to their group). Are they delusional? I don't think that's a fair assessment. They don't literally believe most (or often, any) of the creedal doctrines, they see them as metaphors and traditions that focus people's thinking in good directions. Accepted and interpreted and prioritized in that way, Christianity is a decent source of community, and of good works. It's still too crufty and kum-by-yah for my taste, but I have a lot of common cause with it.

The fundamentalists constitute roughly 20% of Christianity and 80% of the problems it causes. The main thing the other 80% of Christianity is guilty of, is not calling out fundamentalism sufficiently, but rather, treating it like the crazy uncle in the basement. They should unambiguously repudiate it.

@mordant you make some good points. However, some more open minded Christians I have known do this "dance" between it being metaphors and being the truth, as if it can be both. I think over time there has been a pattern of more "reasonable" Christians believing the Bible until science has disproved parts of it, then those parts magically become metaphors. Also, as Closeted pointed out above, they have to cherry pick from the Bible and disregard the more brutal parts.

@Rudy1962 Totally agree. "Dance" is a good metaphor. Also, I've known some of them to be just as up in my face as any fundamentalist over one red-line issue, the existence of god. They'll let me define god as a genial, senile kindly uncle or an impersonal Force if I want, but his existence is still non-negotiable to some people. He is the one entity who cannot be metaphorical, though he can be vaguely defined and described. So yeah, there is still equivocation, evasion, cherry picking and goal post moving, just less of it ... often a lot less. And yes ... the inconvenient violence, brutality, sadism and patriarchy and the failure to lead on moral issues like slavery, has to be ignored even more so by liberals than by fundies.

Still ... I am usually not the embodiment of Satan to them, and they tend to have similar social goals to me, so there's that.

How they live being such hypocrites is so beyond understanding.

Some are drowning in cognitive dissonance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:242153
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.