Agnostic.com

11 0

At what age did you know you were an atheist/agnostic/non-believer?

Francoise 6 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was about 7 years old when I realized that people actually believed that the stories from the bible were true I just thought they were metaphors (not that at 7 I had a clue what a metaphor was)
At 14 I was outed by our protestant vicar who was a decent guy but asked me why I came to church, I answered him honestly that I liked being in the girl guides, I loved singing on the choir and that I got paid for that I loved the youth group run by the church and that I was made to go to church by my parents, Ours was not a 'ram it down your throat' kind of church, very easy going.

1. It takes a long time to clear your head when it's been hammered into you for your entire life.

Somewhere in elementary school. My parents never made me go to church but my community was Christian, so God just seemed like a fact. However, it was never reinforced in any other aspect of my life, so when I would say "god" and take the lords name in vain, other kids would try telling me that I couldn't do that, or that I was going to go to Hell for it. After enough of those instances, it took kids moving to our school that didn't know anyone for me to start making friends. So for me it was pretty early on that I realized that I did not want to be a Christian, and soon after I realized that I didn't want to participate in any religion.

I think I’ve been an atheist as long as I can remember. I never felt comfortable in church and the stories never made much sense to me. It’s only been in the last few years though that I finally put a name with it.

Age 5. My crazy religious Aunt gave me a children’s bible. I read it and put my coat outside and prayed really hard that the coat be wet and the ground dry. Nothing happend and I threw the book away totally disappointed.

I've never known anything else

I don't think I ever really believed but didn't actually say it out loud until my son was filling out some kind of demographic information. He asked me if we were Christian and I told him I wasn't. I didn't even consider what I would be labeled until about 5 1/2 years ago when my dad went off the deep end into Fox News territory and starting spouting RW Christian BS.

Between 10 and 12. By that time I'd read enough and learned enough to separate history and religion and seen enough hypocrisy in practice to reject the obvious impossibilities of a supreme being.

I had wondered before, but when my Sunday School teacher couldn't really answer my question "Who made God?", I decided not to believe. I was about 12 y/o.

Heh. Mid 30s. Late bloomer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24300
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.