Agnostic.com

4 1

Do you believe that science "although it is accurate" is telling the facts and only facts about the universe? I am asking this since I read a quote from einstein which reads: "one thing I have learned in a long life, that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike, yet, it is the most precious thing we have". does the human race have hope? ever?

Basem 7 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Science can't tell anybody anything. It is a sort of process of elimination and what is left is the truth. No message.

Science is the advancement of knowledge, as we learn we change. There are still a lot of unanswered questions out there and theories abound, but they are only theories. When I first began to read about the universe the books all said the universe was forever with no boundaries which at the time seemed impossible to me. I couldn't grasp the concept of forever and it seemed to be an impossibility to me. Now we know the universe is expanding. Theories will be changed and modified all for the sake of knowledge, I hope.

If you really take Einstein's statement at face value, he's simply saying that science, for all its warts, is the best shot we have at approximating an accurate view of reality. Science is simply the work product of the scientific method, which is a methodology for minimizing / compensating for the known weaknesses in human thinking. It is an attempt to avoid confirmation bias, as much as anything. As well as commitment bias -- science self-corrects when new info or understanding justify it. Theists frequently try to flip that, and say, "ah ha, see science changes its mind, it's not reliable". But this is a feature, not a bug.

A lot of the popular science press gives science a bad name by conflating association with cause. Some new association that's found makes for good headlines and effective click-bait. But it shouldn't be written up as if anything is actually proven by it. This is the source of comedy like the Onion headline, "FDA says eggs are OK for you to eat until next Tuesday".

Skepticism, rationalism, empiricism and the scientific method are indeed the most precious thing we have. Will it be enough to ensure the survival of our species in the end? I don't know, but I certainly don't think the failed epistemology of religious faith is going to do it.

I think that science is forever evolving we think we know something then some other piece of information comes along that doesn't seem to fit unless other bits are shifted around - I don't mean its happening all the time but new theories are proposed often, So in some ways I imagine that we are perpetually in the dark moving into the light As I am nothing like a scientist the only thoughts that I have are pretty personal my paternal grandmother died of diabetes only a month before insulin was discovered she had a shock in the war seeing a munitions factory blown sky high with many of her friends in it and developed the illness - Now we are pretty good at managing diabetes and probably getting better all the time - I don't know about all of the human race but I have hope that there are people clever enough to find solutions to all sorts of problems.

i don't know if the purpose of science is to solve human problems or to know the truth about the universe. if its about saving or helping the humans then its way too selfish but if its for the knowledge it self then its noble i guess.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.