Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Are Atheists Fit For Public Office? A Growing Number Of Americans Say Yes. | Americans United for Separation of Church and State

People have asked me when I'm running for office - at least until they realize that I'm not-too-smooth socially without my black mirror.

UrsiMajor 8 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The federal oath of office ends with..."So Help Me God" So that eliminates running for office for Atheists

god been Optional... just like santa claus... satan... or the 3 stooges.

I had to click about 3 links in to find the survey, but they report the results in a bizarre way, I think, first giving the numbers only for a subset of Democratic voters ("pro-choice and pro-marriage Democrats" ), who are very positive about a non-religious candidate.

But if you read the rest of the poll results, you still see this: "Although the bias against nonbelievers is diminishing, the Lake Research poll demonstrated that the bias still exists. When asked to choose between a candidate who believes in God or a candidate who does not believe in God, respondents strongly chose the believer — with 60 percent supporting the candidate who believes in God and only 6 percent supporting the candidate who doesn’t, while for 31 percent of the voters it made no difference
(3 percent were undecided or did not know). These results were markedly different by political party affiliation"

That's fairly similar to these Pew results from a few years ago: [pewresearch.org]

But Americans are still pretty luke-warm about atheists in general, compared to religious adherents: [pewforum.org]

Seems like there's still a way to go.

(Survey data from the OP is here: [americanhumanist.org]

In my opinion, A-theists are more fit for public office than anyone else. It is perfectly OK to believe in any religious nonsense you choose to believe in, as long as you govern as an A-theist.

How's the weather in Maryland?

Somewhere between colder-than-a-witch's-tit and frozen-balls-to-the wall.

@UrsiMajor So that's Settles it... Xmas in Las Vegas then!!!! Thank You... May you Enjoy your first Xmas as a Free Single in a while!!!!!

@GipsyOfNewSpain Heh, are you in Vegas or have you been following my misadventures.?

@UrsiMajor I am in Las Vegas... moved back in late April had a family tragedy in August so been to Jacksonville twice but back in Las Vegas... I hope you enjoyed Your Misadventures Everywhere... Haven't been following your life (No Disturbance Noted in the Force) but hope you are enjoying it and moving Forward toward an Epic Future... Navy lost again to Army... since trump arrived to the Political Scene been Terrible for Navy Football.

Atheists are but probably not religious nutters.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:243300
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.