Agnostic.com

5 3

QUESTION These 6 easy steps can debunk any climate science denier

"Often, refuting denialist arguments focuses on scientific information – showing that temperatures are in fact rising, or that there is indeed a scientific consensus that human activity is responsible," says study co-author Peter Ellerton from the University of Queensland Critical Thinking Project.

"We complement this approach by helping find the flaws in misinforming arguments and explain how the reasons they offer don't support their conclusions."

The team put the steps through their paces by applying them to 42 common claims made in opposition to climate science, and found logical fallacies in each of them.

zblaze 7 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Critical thinking has nothing on cognitive dissonance.

Nothing gets through to hard core righty deniers.

The problem being, deniers aren't logical. Reason is futile.

godef Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

None of this will stand a chance of working if the person doesn't want to believe. My nephew once asked my late partner (who was the director of a private school he once attended) to tell him why vegetarianism. She explained and he listened and couldn't disagree. He said "I could never be a vegetarian" and she replied "you don't want to be a vegetarian" and he agreed. I get into this all the time here and elsewhere. Talk about one's food choices or immigration and, boom, a brick wall. We are all guilty even myself sometimes and I constantly have to remind myself of this.

So easy to debunk.

LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.