Agnostic.com

5 0

What's the value of a course?

I'm finding I can study lots of quality education for free or a very low on-line. How many will respect that the quality for objective programs is the same?

WarmFluffy 7 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I learn a lot by reading. However, formal (classroom) education creates new ways to look at things that i otherwise would not have reached on my own.. I appreciate individual education, but group education is much more enlightening due to the interaction.

Agree with the other comments so far. It really depends on how you seek to use your knowledge. In the professional world, typically the degree from accredited institutions has the most credibility, especially in a competitive hiring process or in bureaucracies. Otherwise, knowledge -even wisdom - can be found in many, often surprising places, as can some really great teachers. In some professions, a degree is not as valuable as a good track record of having the skills to apply your knowledge. In the US, sadly, many formerly fine universities have become glorified trade schools. For some of us, however, knowledge is about more than monetization. Two of the most educated people I know are self-educated.

I have seen some good things on Coursera, but I would not substitute it for higher education at an accredited university.

If I understand your question … it takes me way back to the public service message (remember those?) where ‘Lincoln’ is at a job interview saying, “I’ve done a lot of reading, sort of on my own” … as it goes on to suggest we youngsters continue on to acquire that “Sheepskin.”

Rode with ‘the boss’ yesterday, a brilliant man and community leader, who described the various courses he and his wife have studied on their own. No credit, just them ‘knowing’ stuff others might find ..worthless.

I say, pile it up. Hell, I was hired without credentials 🙂

Varn Level 8 Dec 14, 2018

It depends on how you use it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:243794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.