Agnostic.com

5 2

Atheist Profanity. I once challenged my 15 year old and friends to come up with curse words that do not contain religious or biological references. They failed. So we invented a few: "Joel, you are such a tuning fork." "Susan is such a black-eyed pea." "Differentiate this!" (In your face calculus trash talk.) But all agreed, they were not as satisfying as good old F and Sh bombs. So, is profanity important to our cultures, and how much profanity relates to religion or religious taboos. (MF)? Should atheists develop their own?

Desertwriter 4 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

LOL!!!!
My Mom & I are the queens of neologisms but can't think of any curses that are meaningful to anyone else 😀

When I was a child we were allowed to say 'Blow It!' and 'Yikey' and Flip or Flipping (pretty mild) it was early fifties.

Scatalogical cursing / humor is pretty universal and not specifically sacrilegious. But cursing inherently is for the purpose of flouting widely held norms to bring attention to how angry / upset you are. So it pretty inherently has to be religious or scatalogical in nature in order to work on most anyone. In a majority religious society, curses that profane, say, reason would be lost on most people.

To create sacrilege they would first have to decide what they held sacred. Shirk reason! I’m getting the fact out of this truthforbidden ignorance-hole!!

skado Level 9 Feb 14, 2018

Holy DOG ! Oppsy daisy. That still has a religious word in it Ah well.
Holy MOLLY
Holy DOOLY
For pity's sake
Well that tore it
Dash it
Damn it
What the Dickens
Starve the lizards (Australian saying )
Get off the grass !
For Pete's sake
They're all kinda lame aren't they 🙂

No, it's a remark of being astonished by something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24427
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.