Agnostic.com

5 1

Could a genius be considered a peer...if?

They have not received any formal education in the particular field of study. Let’s take a poll to find out where everyone sits on this hypothetical question.

AJimboShep82 7 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All kinds of people can be a genius without formal education. People teach themselves trades and professions etc all the time

lerlo Level 8 Dec 16, 2018

peer of whom, in what?

(i don't see a poll here. did you mean to add one?)

if someone knows stuff, who cares how s/he learned it?

but being a genius has nothing to do with that. iq is a measure of potential.

g

In the field of study as I stated, and I think you missed the point.

@AJimboShep82 in WHAT field of study? you didn't MAKE a point. i think you missed mine, though.

g

@genessa I did; but it was a broad statement due to the multitude of fields that one would “ specialize in”.there really is no limitation in this regard.

Yes . I have met many self taught people in my life and some were more knowledgeable then those who were schooled.

I think it depends a lot on the field. If for instance in the hard sciences the field relies heavily on empirical data and this genius makes hypotheses without any knowledge about the already existing established facts his contributions might be useless. In maths on the other hand some genius could come up with a new way of seeing things that nobody has ever done before, which could benefit the field very much.
It also depends on what you mean with formal education. Does reading the relevant material outside of an university environment also count as formal education or not? Then the problem would just be personal, the lack of connections and prestige that comes without the university education.

Dietl Level 7 Dec 15, 2018

College or university education is what I refer to as formal education.

@AJimboShep82
There are examples of people without that kind of formal education who were definitely considered peers if not more than that like the mathematician Ramanujan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan). I think in order for your peers to respect you you have to make a significant contribution to your field.

It probably depends on one's level of intelligence. If you define genius by IQ, then probably not for 98% of the population.

Very true however genius by that definition are a special “ breed “ of human and perhaps could even be the next step in human evolution?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:244649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.