Agnostic.com

31 5

Should religion be classified as a mental illness?

This is a pointed one (I know) but I personally think that it should provided that certain safeguards are put into place.

The DSM is a disaster as anyone who knows it will tell you. Principally, if something doesn't cause someone distress, then it's not a mental illness - and this is part of the problem.

The other part is that it's so widespread, the ramifications would be incredible. However, by ignoring this elephant in the room, we're letting the problem ferment to even greater degrees and America is a huge problem in this regard.

Draco 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If someones religious beliefs will cause harm to others, emotionally or physically, then yes.

Classified as delusion at the very least. And subject of mass brainwashing

If you knew my family and how I was raised there would be no question, humans can mentally relax their minds or brain and accept anything that's told or taught them. It's really mental laziness. No pill yet has been developed for this condition . . . but wait certainly there is one on the way, at least if you see the drug ads on TV you might believe that!

Yes it should be. Give us some proof, just one bit, and then it’s not batshit crazy anymore.

it is a out dated government.

NO NO NO ! There have been many well meaning religious people during past centuries '.While after much thought I have come to the conclusion that NOBODY KNOWS .for sure what life on earth is all about there are soo many other ideas possible and I admire the human search for other worlds that is now going on elsewhere ...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.