Agnostic.com

3 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This article tells me nothing new. I had already met these aristocrats at the Unitarian church long ago. They were easy to spot with their indifference to social justice issues and economic inequality as well as their strong interest in knowing what your job was and then judging or socially ranking you according to that. Their classism and cliqueishness disgusted me and a friend described them very well by saying they cared nothing for Unitarianism's First Principle of Respecting the inherent worth and dignity of every human being, and that they were just stopping by for the humanism.

Don't fool yourself. You never had an aristocracy, only people with too much money.

Which is exactly what he means by "aristocracy".

@tnorman1236 The aristocracy is a social class that a particular society considers its highest order. In many states, the aristocracy included the upper class of people (aristocrats) with hereditary rank and titles.
Special attention to the terms "hereditary and titles"

@Spinliesel Of course. But he's using the term loosely to describe the wealthiest upper class in American society, because in some respects, they resemble an aristocracy, particularly in that they pass down their wealth and privilege to their children.

The Trump tax cuts certainly made the elite richer and the middle class will pay.

For sure.

What I find amazing is that some of the poorest states in the USA are red states. The people are clutching their guns and Bibles and voting against their own best interests. @tnorman1236

@nicknotes Sad but true. If you read this whole article (which is very long--I'm still reading it myself), I think it sort of explains things like that.

I think one factor is that the Republicans have turned poor whites against African Americans. @tnorman1236

@nicknotes That's been going on for a while now. There are lots of other factors as well. As he points out in the article, resentment is a big factor. Resenting the "elites" and others.

@tnorman1236 Resenting "elites" of all kinds, except the rich of course, works very well for the Repubs with poor white folks. And why shouldn't it? Because ever since the 90s the Dems have just kept pushing multiculturalism and identity politics instead of any progressive economic policies. So poor whites look at the Dems and say to themselves, "All they care about is helping improve the rights and status of gays, immigrants, feminists, and racial minorities, but nothing for me. Those groups will probably end up with more than me and I also hate how those liberal elite folks think they're better than me because they went to a fancy college and pretend to know more about how things should be when it was all handed to them". Amazing what a blind spot these same people have about the conservative rich folks, who also have everything handed to them in most cases.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:247497
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.