Agnostic.com

16 3

Have you had your DNA tested?

Through familytreeDNA.com, I had my atDNA tested and also my mom's. AtDNA gives the broadest results and is the least expensive of the three most common types of tests. My mom was over 98% Irish as I expected, but my results showed that my dad had very little Irish heritage. Turns out that he was a mixture of everything from Iberian to Scandinavian.
Did yours turn out as expected? If you have not had your DNA tested, do you think you will someday?

#DNA
MikeEC 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just this week I got back the results of some DNA tests, and ever since have been wanting to buy a kilt. Seems I'm 33% Scots-Irish.

There's this site, which claims that the Sharp surname originated in Peeblesshire [houseofnames.com], but the family crests being offered for sale there don't exactly fill me with a great deal of confidence in their reputation for being serious researchers.

Wikipedia does list the Sharp surname as being of Scottish origin [en.m.wikipedia.org]. (The "e" at the end of Sharpe is a recent adaptation. Prior to my great grandfather, our name was always spelled "Sharp", as all our relatives on the other side of that divide still do.)

The sequencing is also done at GENO 2.0, so shortly I should know how much Neanderthal genetic material is encoded in my genes, if any.

My favorite result shows me to be a mutant. I feel like a regular X-Man:

If you start right away, you may be able to learn to play the bagpipes by St. Patty's day!

You have to keep in mind that there are no specific DNA markers that identify heritage. They use a database that identifies certain markers in high concentrations from various regions of the world, and it's in that way they provide a "probability" that you may originate from those regions.
I had mine done by Ancestry and it came out pretty much as I expected.
If you can download your data in raw form, you can upload it to a web site called Prometheas that will give you a very detailed report regarding health factors. It's pretty interesting. I think their report cost me five bucks.

VERY good to know. Thanks!

Yes, and the results were fascinating and unexpected. I discovered that my ancestry is not what I thought, and I am 99% Northern European while I thought that there was Cherokee ancestry as well. No matter. What I REALLY found fascinating was the health aspects of the results. I discovered a solution to a long-standing health niggle that has plagued me since childhood and found that it is due to a genetic mutation and there are supplements that offset the effects. I have ended up feeling better and losing a few extra pounds with just one small addition to my diet. I used GenesForGood, which is a free program being done by the University of Michigan.

OMG -- how cool is that?!?!

I wasn't sure what I expected - the results were amazing - I was born in the UK to a Scottish mother and an Irish father but only have 2%English and brilliantly 12 % Icelandic

For those who are thinking about it, but have not had DNA testing done, there is an article that gives a good explanation and description of the "big three" DNA testing companies:

[myfamilydnatest.com]

Yep it was super interesting. 98% European but the other 2% was cool. 1% Asian+1% African. Like 40% Slavic, 20% German, 17% English, 10% Greek, 3% Scandinavian, to name a few. Apparently vaguely related to Meryl Streep. Will admit that I did expect were the German and Slavic.

That is quite an interesting mix. You are another one of those All-American walking, talking melting pots. I would not mind having Meryl Streep is a cousin myself.

@Maiasaura Oh well thats pretty cool! Hey cuz! Forgot to mention Katie Couric is also related.

@PappyOnWings Haha pretty much 🙂

I have, and the results were about what I expected. Being as pale as they come, I was 100% European. At least in the sense of European ancestry it was fairly diverse, albeit concentrated in northern Europe. I also got a really neat breakdown of how my mitochondrial DNA relates back to the ancestors that migrated out of Africa, their migration paths, my neanderthal dna (I had quite a lot), and how my DNA may impact my health.

That is interesting. Your results sounds very similar to mine. I have done a little reading about DNA, and was surprised and a bit amused to know that all people of European descent have up to about 2.5% Neanderthal DNA.

I did but it had a low call rate and is still being processed. I sent it in mid December so I am not feeling super confidant about the results. My daughter sent hers in 2 weeks after I did and is further along.

I post then read. Then have to edit

My mother is adopted and although we know her birth mother, there is a question as to who her father is. My father died when I was young and wasn't interested yet. Additionally he lied about a number of other things so the few things I recall may not be accurate anyway.

Yes, it does take a while. I think it took about 2 months to process before I received my DNA results. My father also died many years ago. He had eight children, and we all believed that he was mostly Irish. Estimating from my results and my mom's results, I found out that he was only about 8% of Irish descent. It didn't really matter, just something interesting for us to know. Others have much more serious reasons for doing their DNA inquiries. I hope that your results are enlightening in the best way.

Well, they came in and mummy is not native.
Dad said we were Scottish which I guess is part of the British Irish group. A birth relative of my mother's said we were gypsies which explains moms black hair.

I remember thinking as a child that I was french but do not remember why.

What is a low call rate?

@BlueWave beats me

I haven't, but I'd like to...I probably will at some point.

Some people are reluctant to do it for one reason or not or another. As you can see from other posts, many people who, like myself, were just curious seem happy they did it. I hope that once you do it that you results are interesting in a very positive way. When I did it, the cost for the basic DNA test at myfamilytreeDNA.com was $79. Last time I looked it was $59. It's nice to see that the price is coming down

The thought of discovering who I am makes me want to be curious. However I am dubious of these different services. While, I think, they can only come to present conclusions only by accumulating a large database of former clients, is the old inputted data really that valid enough to give valid present conclusions? For example, does anyone ever report Neanderthal in any report? Or Denisovan? Or how's about the myriad tribes across Asia, or Africa, or the Pacific? With some of these combinations possible in my DNA mix, I wonder what my report would look like. I wonder a lot! LOL

I have read reviews by organizations I trust. Several of the ones that are well known such as ancestry.com and familytreeDNA.com have huge databases and get excellent ratings. Once you get your results from family tree they add them to their database and then show you a list of DNA matches. I submitted my mom's more than a year after I did my own, and as soon as hers was posted, it linked me to her as my mother. I was pretty impressed with that.

@PappyOnWings I went with 23 and me but thinking I should have used ancestry. I will see how mine and daughter's matches up and still might do another.

@SherryMartin Here is a link to a report you might find interesting. It compares the "big three" of DNA testing companies. I had mine done at familytreeDNA.com (one of the big 3). The price listed in the article is $89. The last time I looked, they had a special for $59. I was happy with the general results received from that company, and with the options for looking up relatives and relationships on their website. Good luck.

[myfamilydnatest.com]

My results

You are a one-man melting pot! The categories on your result sheet are a little different than mine. What company did you get your test from? Were the percentages pretty much what you're expecting?

@PappyOnWings ancestry.com is the company. I really wasn't sure what it was gonna be. My family always said we where of German decent.

I keep thinking that my sister and I should have our DNA tested and compared. Why?

I am adopted. We understand that one of the two boys in my family who were adopted (my father and one of my uncles doing said adoptions) were actually a son of one of the adoptive fathers. Everyone in the family is convinced that I am the only candidate: I look like my father, I laugh like him... at his funeral, everyone walked past my sister, up to me and asked if I were one of his brothers! We were both a bit put off by this. It would put that question to rest but, we will never know the full story.

It sounds complicated, and because you are curious about getting some answers I recommend that you go ahead and do it. The site where I had mine done – familytreeDNA.com charges $59 for the basic text. I am not sure what ancestry.com charges or what differences there are in the tests, but I am pretty sure they are similar. When you order the test from the website, they send you a kit with two small vials containing a small amount of liquid and a couple of swabs. You just use one swab inside one cheek and the other swab on the other side, place one swab in each vial and send the samples back in the envelope they provide. Pretty simple.

I will not. For a number of reasons. Only one of which is that I have no desire to spend money on such a thing. I'm also not that interested in my ancestry beyond what I already know. It doesn't matter to me at all.

My youngest daughter and I had our dna tested recently. She is the family member who is most interested in genealogy. Her mother (my first wife) pasted away several years ago, and we think the difference between my DNA and my daughters will give us some idea of her moms. My largest group was scandinavian and I have a great granddad from Denmark, and a great grandmother from Sweden. The family story is about the number of ancestors that were German, and that is one of the small groups.,

That's pretty much the way I did mine. My dad has been dead for a while, and I got my mom's test just a month before she died. Figuring that you get approximately half your DNA from each parent you can get a general idea of the other parent's heritage by how yours turns out. There is one type of DNA that has only passed from female to female. If your daughter is hoping to get more specific information she might want to consider that one also.

Nope. And I never will. All it does is generate a bunch of abstract relationships.

I’m 73% Gaelic, 7% Italian, 20% northwest European.

That is an interesting combination. I imagine that you will wear a 73% green outfit on St. Patrick's Day?

Yay@PappyOnWings

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24892
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.