Agnostic.com

8 2

Isn’t the term “ I’m blessed” a form of arrogance?

I know I probably have a weird way of thinking, but I just always felt that term was arrogance, even though I’m aware not everyone who uses it probably mean to come off as smug. I mean what could make a person feel so special that a god would take time to grant them what they want when there are more real issues in the world?l know many people around it will never be able so experience happiness cause the sad truth is that there are some people born into shitty lives and many have to fight their way to a better one, yet there is people still going on about how blessed they are as if they’re supposed to be that more special than the next human being. What do you guys think?

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell people: In some cultures the word bless means "fuck".

I don't look at the word "blessed" as being a strictly religious or arrogant word. If I'm told by someone to have a blessed day, I am appreciative. In a world that can sometimes be unkind, I'll happily take that kindness.

I think there are many meanings for the word...grateful, good tidings, etc.

I've had the poorest of the poor tell me they are blessed and the very rich tell me that as well. Because someone has more than someone else doesn't mean they are being condescending or don't feel bad for those that are suffering. They may have come from shitty beginnings or gone through horrible things and do feel grateful or "blessed".

It depends on the individual's understanding and intended use of the phrase.

I recognize that I'm very fortunate in some ways ... this is just recognizing and appreciating what I have that's positive. But ... it could conceivably involve some arrogance or bragging if I develop the notion that this is somehow a validation of superior personal worth, or if I got off on others feeling inadequate around it.

The problem is you don't know me so you can't judge all that with perfect accuracy. If I kept bringing this up out of context at every opportunity or tried to diminish others by causing them to suffer in comparisons I set up and make, that might be a "tell". But ... only I know my actual motives, right?

I think also that some of the prattling on that people do is just that they want to tell themselves that they've built a zone of safety around themselves, that they're in some way entitled to their achievements. When in fact circumstances can cause anything to be taken from us, at any time, for any reason or for no reason. When you have little or nothing, there's anxiety around your lack; when you lack for little or nothing, there's anxiety around retaining it.

I see it as a cultural colloquialism that for nonbelievers, translates as "I'm fortunate."

That’s also a good way to look at it.

Yes this exactly!!!!

On a related note, every time someone tells me to "have a blessed day" it makes my skin crawl.

Hahaha!!!

Maybe, unless it's an obvious expression of gratitude.

It's like being a Star Belly Sneetch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:249445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.