Agnostic.com

4 1

Do you believe the Oath and the Law of the Boy Scouts of America still relevant today?

"On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty, to God and my country, and to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight." -Scout Oath

"A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent." -Scout Law

SonnyMlaPH 7 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Law seems relevant. As for the Oath, well, where i live, the Scouts have removed the part about God a while ago, since they started accepting non-Christians in.

MarcO Level 5 Nov 2, 2017

I believe what the Scouts did was correct. We have to change with the times. And thanks for finding the Law seems relevant.

I think it could be relevant... all except the part about god. It is all a matter on how seriously a person takes it.

That's true and correct. Thank you

At this point I'm not even sure the Boy Scouts are relevant.

You mean, bro, no more Mr. Nice Guy? how sad! Wanna have some of the absolute true pure spirit in a bottle I hold in my hand?

What is my duty to god and which god? Jesus will punish me for worshiping Allah and Allah will punish me for worshiping Jesus. If they want to claim that it is my "free choice" to worship any god in any way I choose, then what's the point? If I'm staying away from pork or not eating meant on a Friday, or if I pray towards Mecca three times a day, am I worshiping the same god, a different god, and why would the Scouts care how I worship? The real truth is that they want me to follow Jesus. But do I worship in a Catholic way or a Baptist way? Let's call the whole thing off.

You can always skip or ignore that part about god, I see no problem with that.

How about the Scout Law? You may just call it guidelines

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.