Agnostic.com

2 0

God doesn't intervene

I work with a christian lady, we get on fine and sometimes have discussions about life, the universe and everything. On one occasion she informed me that god (the Abramic god) doesn't intervene in human affairs. So I asked does that not make god irrelevant and prays a waste of time? Alas we never had a chance to finish the conversation. Thoughts?

ipdg77 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no way to distinguish between an absent god, an indifferent / non-interventionist god, and a non-existent god. They all behave the same and have the exact same impact.

But props to your co-worker for at least figuring out that god does bupkis.

As an atheist I don't subscribe to a personal 'Big Daddy' Deity up in the sky somewhere. But they do say that prayer has a soothing (settling) effect on the person praying. I'd be kinda like talking to yourself which I think is OK. Quite meditation would be another way to go I think to settle to unsettled mind.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25108
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.