Agnostic.com

13 3

Why do people assume being an atheist means you don't have morals?

treat1983 2 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because they equate religion with morals. History shows that to be false

Most are programmed to think that if you don't believe in GOD you are inherently evil.

Because they are ignorant. Then again, we can ask why religious people who are force fed moral behaviors don't follow their teachings.

Most religious people have been taught their whole lives that their sense of morality comes from their god via their religious texts and religious leaders' interpretations of those texts. It is so firmly embedded in their psyche that morality comes from their faith that they honestly can't fathom any other source. There are exceptions to that, of course, but since your question was a generalization, so is the answer.

I love this:

They can't accept that atheism is a considered position, as that would obligate them to entertain the possibility it could be right, at least for some people. So they assume that it involves some combination of hatred, anger, licentiousness, dishonesty, confusion, hopelessness -- ANYTHING so long as it's negative and evil. OR since everything in their world involves religion, they assume it's a sort of anti-religion or a religion with the god of self or some such.

In short, they try to make it SAFE and RELATABLE to themselves. At our expense.

Also, fundamentalist Christians especially care about BEING right rather than DOING right. Being right is Job One. And atheists, as the polar opposite of credulous adherence to religious faith, must be a wrong as it's possible to be.

So ... don't expect their heads to stop exploding at the very thought of us.

You'll do somewhat better with liberal Christians and some iconoclastic "spiritual but not religious" types. But in general, you're not going to win respect from most theists.

Theists are high on religion, so naturally they think it is impossible to live without it.

Simply because they are led to believe that man cannot develop these on their own but must rely on some myths to provide them with direction and value. The con man works there routine and behold we have religion.

I have no clue at all. I think I'm pretty sure that my morals are better than most religious people. I put it down to ignorance mainly.

to them atheism represents a green light to sin and suffer no repercussions. of course they don't know what they're talking about because never tried it. (that last little bit was sarcasm)

Ironically Christianity is the green light to sin and suffer no repercussions. They sin, ask forgiveness ... rinse and repeat. Sometimes, just repeat 😉

@mordant Rinse. So THAT'S what the holy water is for!

Because they lack internal behavioral controls and need someone to provide them.

Because christians have to have their book to keep them from killing and raping, and even that doesn’t work.

Ignorance

Khmm Level 5 Feb 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25128
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.