Agnostic.com

10 3

QUESTION What Kids Are Really Learning About Slavery - The Atlantic

The group also reviewed 10 commonly used U.S.-history textbooks, and examined 15 sets of state standards to assess what students know, what educators teach, what publishers include, and what standards require vis-à-vis slavery.

Among 12th-graders, only 8 percent could identify slavery as the cause of the Civil War. Fewer than one-third (32 percent) correctly named the 13th Amendment as the formal end of U.S. slavery, with a slightly higher share (35 percent) choosing the Emancipation Proclamation. And fewer than half (46 percent) identified the “Middle Passage” as the transport of enslaved Africans across the Atlantic Ocean to North America.

zblaze 7 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every country lies about its origins or political machinations, and the populace majority is fine with that until it begins to affect them in a negative fashion. You see many people in this country angry about revelations coming out about how things occurred. They use a derogatory term for bringing the truth out, "They're being PC." instead of accepting something different than their long-held beliefs.

A good "PC" example is the fact that the pilgrims were not celebrating the first Thanksgiving because of friendly Indians bringing them food and feasting with them. The colonists had a feast of Thanksgiving because their soldiers had gone to a tribe that was actively fighting with them and massacred the populace down to the last child and roaming dog. They then burned the homes and belongings of the tribe along with the bodies.

Anything to do with females or minority races is suppressed or ignored. But no one wants to accept that the scared American holiday wasn't what they were taught. The American militaries actions in the Philipines were also not taught in school or accepted in today's schools.

Thanks Angelface

It seems like there has always been disagreement about what started the Civil War. Even I was taught in high school back in the late 80's that it wasn't about slavery, and Lincoln only freed the slaves in the south (but not the north) to get blacks in southern states to fight for the Union.

With human egos, it seems that even getting the truth about current events out there has always been something of an issue, and not embellishing on the past has been a bigger problem. If people can't get it straight about what is happening, there is no way they will be accurate about what happened.

Sure looks like slavery had something to do with it though:

[civilwar.org]

This is one element of history teaching that makes me the most angry. I grew up in New Jersey, 30 minutes from Philadelphia. We got ALOT of history - the whole area is full of history and I would spend hours reading about history. It blows me away the south still has some very disturbing attitudes about their 'coloreds' and how their 'blacks' know their place. It freaks me out to think there is that level of ignorance in our country. Sad to say there is a cess pool of ignorance in the current adminatration. It was only 58 years ago the last of the Jim Crow laws in the south were removed but we still have a justice system that favors whites over other citizens in this country. We must do better our democracy depends on it.

Bravo! And thank you.

I share your frustration. And it was just over 50 years ago that anti-miscegenation laws were made unconstitutional. In a democracy, minorities and the disenfranchised are often denied rights that the majority take for granted. More often than we might like to admit, it has only been through judicial ruling or executive order that rights have been conferred. The conscience and courage of some Supreme Court Justices and Presidents should always be remembered for the rights granted to the underrepresented. Five examples that come to mind are:

1. Obergfell v. Hodges, 2015, permitting gay marriage, overruling any state laws against such-although some counties in Texas and Alabama still refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples;
  2. Loving v. Virginia, 1967, permitting interracial marriage, overruling state anti-miscegenation laws, which were still on the books throughout the South;
  3. President Eisenhower's Executive Order 10730, 1957, which nationalized the Arkansas National Guard, a tool the governor was using to prevent entry by the Little Rock Nine students into Little Rock Central High.
  4. Brown v. Board of Education, 1954, which ruled that separate educational facilities are inherently unequal, paving the way for desegregation; and
  5. President Truman's Executive Order 9981, 1948, which abolished racial segregation in the Armed Forces.
    When looking at a map showing where the various states stood at the time these decisions or orders were handed down, there appears to be a pattern as to which states have repeatedly been on the wrong side of history. Were we to have relied solely on the democratic process, in some parts of the country we'd still be waiting!

It is hard to believe. As a youngen we all new about slavery and how unjust slavery was, and the civil war was fought to correct this unjust conduct. I would think that parents would chime in and help their children understand.

It is affirmed that a large part of the gop agenda is to keep the population ignorant. They deliberately skew education to support religious ideas and go about prejudicing young minds in favor of their agenda.

That most high school students are unable to identify slavery as a primary cause of the Civil War should not be surprising, as the textbooks and curriculum covering this period are the choice of each individual state, as well as local or regional school boards. In an environment where states seem inclined to either bury the hatchet and move on, or to sweep underlying racially divisive reasons under the rug, how many of us ever come to learn the truth? How many students have actually read and analyzed the Articles of Secession of Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas?

Very upsetting and unsettling article about the teaching of slavery.

I would like a comparison analysis on other wars beyond our common memory. WWI for example. Spanish American War. Why are the Philippines US Territory? Lets have some details about the American Revolution? My point is that we may be masking the real problem by accepting that the problem is caused by teachers.

I would put a paycheck on the fact that none of the children were aware that if they were of the any of the Abrahamic faiths, would have known that THEIR religion actually ENDORSES slavery.

Indeed! Denominations were literally torn apart by this issue. Preachers on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, as well as soldiers wearing blue or gray, used the same Bible to defend their positions. That this could even be possible is as much an indictment of the morality of their book, as it is of the pro-slavery rebel position!

I'm not surprised. I was once in a college history class where the professor went halfway around the class before someone could tell him who won the Civil War.

Thats easy, it was the west! That's how the West was Won. What a bunch of dummies....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.