Agnostic.com

12 1

Conventions for Atheists and Agnostics

I met with a group of local atheists last Thursday, and they talked about attending an upcoming Skepticon convention in Springfield, Missouri. That sounded quite brave to me. That's a little bit like the Jews having a conference in Nazi Germany in 1940. That brought up a few questions:

1. Has anyone attended one of these conferences?
  2. Which one did you attend?
  3. Was it a positive or a negative experience for you?
BD66 8 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have attended a few American Atheist annul conventions and thought they were very well presented (and represented!) I'd go again, however they are so far away from my home in the middle of the Pacific.

They held The American Atheist convention in my state this year and I wanted to go so bad. I wanted to actually see and possibly meet some of the people I watch on YouTube. Also, I think being around that many like minded people at the same time would be so inspiring. Hopefully one day.

I have been to a couple of the Skepticons over the years and have plenty of friends who attend annually. Had a lot of fun and went to some interesting symposiums. Good times were had by all.

I haven't been to any of the Skepticons but I have been to two of the Midwest Humanist Conferences and I enjoyed many of the speakers and had some good talks with fellow attendees.

I know of a few people that went to the Minnesota Atheist convention that had a few well known speakers, & did various activities during the weekend. Great way to socialize, meet up with some folks and share stories.

1. Yes 2. Many of the American Atheist Conventions with Madalyn Murray O'Hair and her family. 3. Great experiences and never a problem.

I haven't attended any; but I would like to go various events. After my life settles down I am going to join a group about 60 miles away, as there is nothing locally in my backwards little town/county; and, hopefully, I will be able to go to one of these as part of a group.

I can't see myself attending such a gathering, mostly because I just don't care all that much about who knows or doesn't know what I think.

I wish they had more events like this in Washington :/ although we're a pretty liberal state so maybe I'm not looking hard enough haha

I've never attended one, but from the name, it seems like a great place for atheists.
Will there be speakers there? Michael Shermer maybe?

Yeah, Skepticon is the main atheist convention in the US. Lots of big names have attended over the years. I would love to go, but haven’t had the chance yet.

You wouldn't get a reply like that on many chatgroups.

Did not know they existed but they sound interesting.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 29, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2518
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.