Agnostic.com

6 1

I've noticed several posts on other threads about people doing keto. I started in October of 2014. If you've been doing keto, what has your experience been like?

I'm always looking for more recipes, so what are your favorites?

orange_girl 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had type 1 diabetes for 29 years and this is by far the best diet for me. I started it January 2017 to lose weight but also found I had to reduce my insulin intake significantly. As a result it is much easier to control my sugar levels. Changing to an insulin pump did help with better control of my diabetes but it is much better now that I do keto. I lost about 20 lbs in 6 months but then had emotional stress with family stuff and I got off it because I eat my emotions. So I'm back on now and it's slowly working again, yay!
One thing I found too is the diet changed my menstrual cycle. It was coming a week before it was supposed to. I was on the pill for basically my whole life and never had a problem untill I started this diet. The strength of my birth control pill was adjusted to be stronger and that worked for me.

Keto diet is a pretty good one if you can keep to it. I was looking at being a nutritionist and so took courses on diet and nutrition and also interned with a dietician. I learned a lot during that time. I always go back to the Keto type diets because they are truly a good way to lose weight. Low carb diets are what doctors put obese people on whenever they are trying to get them to lose the pounds for whatever reason. Look up the diet for HCG, Gastric Bypass, Lapband, and the such. Also look at the diet that they put the patients on before they go in for the surgery. All low carb and high protein. Keto adds in the good fats.

All I suggest is that you see a doctor, get some basic blood work done and make sure you aren't deficient in anything and are all good to go. If your doctor tells you not to do it ask and question why. Ask if there is a medical issue that you have that will cause problems. Some doctors will say no to a diet because of their personal beliefs or because they are to push another diet plan that they get profits from for doing so. So, always question their reason for why they don't want you do do a diet and from there get a second opinion.

It can work very well for short term fat loss. Long term it's not the best thing to do although tilting your diet more towards protein, healthy fats, fresh fruits and vegetables while limiting excessive carb consumption as we get older is an excellent idea. Remember carbs are primarily our fuel and as we get older and our metabolism slows down we need less fuel. Also don't forget the exercise! Diet and exercise are each only half of the equation. If you do decide to go keto the first week or two are the hardest. I have never had cravings like when I went keto. Good luck!

@orange_girl You are absolutely right carbs do not have to be the primary fuel source and a keto diet is changing your fuel source. Good luck making this as a permanent lifestyle choice. It can help tremendously with insulin/blood sugar levels. @sarahjustme I was talking about our modern diet since our domestication of plants. Yes many civilizations who didn't rely on farming had very low carbohydrate diets however our bodies do not like to give up stored bodyfat. Stored bodyfat was used to make it through periods of food scarcity so those who stored bodyfat well were more likely to survive and pass on that trait. Our bodies actually more readily give up muscle tissue, a body tissue with high energy requirements, rather than bodyfat, a body tissue with low energy requirements for fuel. As to food consumption other than medium chain triglycerides and severely limiting carb intake once again your body prefers carbs for fuel. I definitely agree with you, as I kind of said in my initial comment, that our society is carb 'addicted' . This is cool! I never thought I'd be talking lo-carb diets on Agnostic.com !

I have some friends who did it - decent results for one. But I have way too many allergies to go this way.

I was just thinking about starting it. Any suggestions on a better website? Books?

I got some electrolyte supplements at Costco. It’s good! I have hard times giving up all carbs. But slowly chopping at it too! Today is carb heavy so far 😟 @sarahjustme

I got carb globbing children. If I was alone, I’d be fine! @sarahjustme

I have seen many people lose a lot of weight quickly with this and know it corrects a lot of health problems. i slowly worked toward it then followed it religiously for 6 months. 7 gms carbs daily. Maybe not enough exercise. I lost 22 lbs then just stopped. I lost my motivation around Christmas and quit tracking

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25266
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.