Agnostic.com

32 13

Controlling your Atheism...

I am both a militant athiest and a thunder mouth, meaning I like to say what is on my mind at any given moment.

Filter? Not so much... at least when I am home.

My SO is a former Christian, now identifies as agnostic, and can't stand it when I wax all anti-religious. She sees it as a personal insult to her former self, family, and friends.

If you are like me, how do you manage to control your expressions of utter disgust that religion exists?

I try to explain that IDGAF about the people being religious, that's just sad and if I like them as an individual, it makes me even more angry at the theo-shite machine.

What I effing detest is the religion itself. She doesn't separate the two. If I insult the system, I'm insulting the victims/believers...

(Picture included because it's pretty, not related to content)

ThorR 5 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmm, in the pleasant warmth of 26°C indoors your photo is invitingly inticing for a swim. In reality I suspect that I need another 10 degrees of ambient temperature.

When I shucked off religion, I felt in some way betrayed by everyone in my life who had a hand in my indoctrination: parents, teachers, clergy, etc., people who, I figured, should have known better. So, for several years, I felt it was my responsibility to introduce others to the truth, to disabuse others of the traps of theism. I debated with friends and went on discussion forums to let others know how right I was. In truth, I was angry and felt foolish for having believed something without good reason for the first 20 years or so of my life, and I was overcompensating by being outspoken about the folly of religion and the obvious truth of atheism. I was developmentally an atheist adolescent acting out. Today, though, I have no need to convince anyone of what I think and I have nothing to prove to anyone. But my question to you is why you feel the need to rail against religion so hard, at home or elsewhere. For me it was pain and vulnerability from a relatively recent wound. Is that the case for you? Or what makes religion stick in your craw in ways that other faith-based beliefs don't? I'd venture to guess that there are many beliefs and claims you think are just as wrong and harmful as religion, but you don't likely give them nearly the same attention as you give to religion — because, who has that kind of time? So what in your mind sets religion apart? Why does religion mean more to you than, say, homeopathy or crystal therapy or astrology? Sure, religion is more widespread, but New Age beliefs are incredibly widespread, too. So, perhaps a little introspection will help you come to terms with why you feel the need to be so outspoken. Are you recently deconverted and feel it's imperative that you speak out? Are there people in your life to whom you are/were close who are religious and it's caused some strain? Do you feel wounded or betrayed by religion in some way? The things that we focus on aren't meaningless to us; something about religion still has a personal hold on you. Figure out why it holds power over you and you can work on letting it go. /2¢

I would joke a lot & make fun. Even drop a "Hail Satan" here & there. Lol

. . . . . . . . But I'm single now.? ?

When the opportunity presents itself I am not shy about stating what I believe. I let live as one wishes but do not take to anyone trying to influence my behavior.

I went through the same thing. Trust me, let it go. Vent here or to a therapist, but let it go. Especially if your relationship is great aside from this key issue.

Mine ended with a divorce (we're best friends still, and I've since curbed mine to vent elsewhere).

My filters only come off if the subject is broached by the other person and they wish to confront or challenge me. If asked why I don't believe in god, the common response about there being no evidence, while true, seems to me a bit lacking in teeth. If I really want to lay it on thick, my response might be, "How does an intelligent, literate person in 2019 still believe in primitive fairy tales..." Another favorite is pointing out that they are almost as much of an Atheist as me because they don't believe in the thousands of other gods man has concocted.

You remind me of my ex and I was the one who tried to put a gentle lid on his outbursts. In the end we didnt make it but that wasnt the reason why. i'm thankful that he taught me about Athiesm and he was the reason why I "came out" and took my position. However I was raised catholic and as far as I know, i'm the only Athiest in the entire family. So i'll tell you my point of view. I didnt mind that he had his opinion, i respected and in a way was thankful for his opinion and that he wanted to speak out to others at his work and those in his family. His grandmother and mother were devout methodist. His dad a republican. I thought he was brave. What I wanted him to do was to focus his protest at the right time and right place. For example don't have an outburst when we just finished touring a historical church because I would be embarassed if especially older traditional women around me would hear it. I felt for the most part he was right, but its like you said, you have to seperate criticisms of the system from the victims. So my advice is to practice your wording so its very clear what you are protesting, and focus it at the right time and right place for the best impact, not the hardest impact.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.