Agnostic.com

2 3

QUESTION Quantum realIty: space, tIme, and entanglement

Our universe is WEIRD and as they say in this great video, our intuition about how the world works is not a very good tool to understand how the world truly works!

TheMiddleWay 8 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry, I call BS on "spacetime" - I say space and time are independent.

gater Level 7 Feb 17, 2018

@TheMiddleWay GPS uses time dilation to be more precise. This essentially factors in gravity on their equipment. However time itself does not slow down - it is independent from gravity.

@TheMiddleWay It means that but what really happens is the mechanical devices used to measure time are slowed - time itself doesn't slow down

@TheMiddleWay Clocks are an attempt to measure time - gravity has an effect on clocks - but not on time. Time moves at a constant rate throughout the Universe. There's no getting around that. I call BS on Wormholes too. Time is one thing - space is another. And the shortest distance between two points is still a straight line.

@TheMiddleWay time - the infinite continued progress of existence. Some theorist try to tie to space, so their time travel and wormhole theories become plausible. Its all BS - we will never have time travel or wormholes.

@TheMiddleWay It has not been proven, only in theory IF the theory is accurate - which it isn't.

@TheMiddleWay Gravity can bend light and slow clocks - it has no effect on time.

@TheMiddleWay A clock is not time, gravity has an effect on clocks, not on time.

@TheMiddleWay Sure - with a sundial, or do you consider that a clock?

@TheMiddleWay Clock -a mechanical or electrical device for measuring time, indicating hours, minutes, and sometimes seconds.
Looks like a sundial doesn't qualify, its not exactly a mechanical device - a stick in the ground is a sundial.

@TheMiddleWay Relativity is a theory - not a law.

I think you are confusing time with "measured time"

• Time, eternal time, with no beginning, always "now" - that's time, you can't slow it down or speed it up.

Gravity effects clocks attempt to measure time - Time dilation

@TheMiddleWay You don't seem to get it - Time does not slow down - Clocks slow down.

I guess not everybody here understands the core principles of agnostic.com:
"The following are core principles* we agree with:

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world."
    Einstein figured out spacetime last century. TheMiddleWay, you are doing great trying to enlighten us. Thanks!

@verifiabliss Actually Einstein theorized about spacetime - he was correct that gravity effects our attempts to measure time. But a clock is not time. Time does not slow down. This is a simple concept that seems to evade many.

@TheMiddleWay Wrong again - Time has always existed. Clocks are an attempt to measure time.
Gravity effects clocks.
Gravity does not effect time.
Lets say you can see a planet with a large gravitational field. And theres a clock on the surface, running slower than ones on earth. Would it be more accurate to say " Time on that planet is slower than ours" or "The clock on that planet is running slower than ours"?

@TheMiddleWay A. I know time has always existed, not because of a clock, but because the Universe has always existed.
B. A clock is a mechanical attempt to measure time. Studies prove that gravity effects mechanical devices;
C. Tell time without a clock? I don't know - is that a riddle?

@TheMiddleWay A -The Universe has always been here, the Big Bang took place about 14 billion years ago.
B - Logic

@TheMiddleWay The Universe - infinite space and time.
b) The Observable universe - 14.5 billion years old, approx. 90 billion light years across.

@TheMiddleWay No - that's when the BB occurred

I think it was Hunter S. Thompson who said "When the going gets weird, the weird go shopping." I may be conflating two different things.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25460
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.