Agnostic.com

14 2

Everything is connected

• 14 votes
  • 12 votes
CallMeDave 8 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This isn't really a topic that can be answered true or false.

Technically speaking, everything is some combination of the same elements, so in that respect, everything is connected. However, the Earth is not physically connected to the Sun. It is held in place by the Sun's gravity.

If you're talking about connections to people, then that statement isn't true or false either. The daily activities of a single person in say, Africa, do not affect my life in any way, just as mine don't affect theirs. However, what my neighbors or coworkers do can affect me.

Of course you could consider the "butterfly effect", where the wings of a butterfly fluttering causes a chain of events that lead to a tornado somewhere else in the world. Although, that's just a theory and it hasn't been proven.

Definitely a loaded topic.

ok, I'll bite. How is my back surgery connected to a stranger's birthday in Somalia?

lerlo Level 8 Jan 2, 2019

I don't know.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 1, 2019

I am not, never have been and never will be connected to Donald Trump or spiders.........ok well maybe spiders.

Not only are we connected. Our true and real essence is one single thing IMO. Identity as a body is only an illusion.

@maturin1919 “You” are not thinking anything. Thinking is a bodily activity. You/We are in blissful repose, enjoying conscious awareness and playing with our multitude of state-of-the-art robotic organisms. 🙂

Everything is not connected...

Not me and my ex.

Durr that's why she's your ex! smart guy. 😉

@CaroleKay You're so inciteful. 🙂

You used to be

@Jolanta Who me? I don't think so.

@Sticks48 What a gun was held to your head when you married her, and you never had sex either

@Jolanta What are you talking about. We fucked like bunny rabbits. What is your problem? It's a goddamn joke.

@Sticks48 So is mine.

Sorry, too broad; depends on your definition of "connected".

The assertion is to general for a yes or no answer

At a molecular level, yes.

"We are all connected; to each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

How far can the concept 'everything is connected' be stretched and proven?

The Butterfly effect. In science we recognize the interconnectness of all things. The ripples my be undetectable, but they persist and get translated down the line. Sometimes ultimately go nowhere, sometimes catalyst for large changes.

If they are undetectable how can they be proof. Evidence please.....

Hmm! Not too sure about the 'butterfly effect' because on that scale if an elephant farted in Africa it seems to me that there might be an earthquake and Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Turkey would feel the aftershock with possible ripples felt in Europe.

@ASTRALMAX Thinking too literal.

@ASTRALMAX, @kgoodyear. Many things are not immediately discernable by us. However, observations by multiple researchers over a multiple centuries, patterns emerge. Disparate events and data are brought together to realize the connections. Not all connections are overtly seen or apparent. We know they are at work because we can document changes and work bsckwards to reconstruct events. Sometimes the evidence is tangentjal and not always recognizable at first.

An example: taking am organism out of its biome or habitat impacts the entire boome. Changes potential events and possibilities. We may not be able to see or realize the chsin of events resulting from this. but changes did occur. It at the wrong time or at a tipping point., outcomrs msy be readily visible.

@t1nick Word salad.....

@kgoodyear Hahaha. Have a Hapoy New Year.

The statement is too vague.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 31, 2018

Hmmmm not sure what you mean. My soda can I have on my desk is not connected to my TV set. My computer is connected to my TV though. Very vague you need to be more specific or explain what you mean.

Thinking too literal. Easy to do sometimes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:255961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.