Agnostic.com

3 7

Am I tribal? Yes. I am.

We all are. So a more useful question might be... What efforts do you make to counter your natural instincts to identify with your in-group, otherize those who are not in it, and meet all perceived differences with defensive posturing?
It isn't easy. I fail regularly and spectacularly. Help!

skado 9 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And honest enough to recognize this position. My best advice is to find a group that is worthy of your membership.

Perfect representation of modern tribalism. "Us against them" is what we go trough as we go to work every day. It's also the inner mechanism that keeps me watching "The Walking Dead." It also keeps me from being like others who really want you to be just like them. I have many acquaintances and few friends.

I agree. Tribalism is easy, as it's our evolved default, so it takes effort. It also is not immediately beneficial, so it takes foresight. And furthermore, it's not always applauded and sometimes demonized, so it takes bravery.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:257392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.