Agnostic.com

1 0

What steps do you take to check the veracity of a claim before you accept it as true?

Given all of the unavoidable cognitive biases that can cause us to reach premature, false conclusions on a subject, coupled with the fact that we’re pretty easy to influence and manipulate emotionally, what steps do you take to check the veracity of a claim before you accept it as true?
Also, what makes a source reliable?

AMGT 8 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First, I critically weigh the evidence pro and con based upon what I already understand about how the universe works (this includes things with an emotional base) to determine how much I need to investigate a claim. If I find the claim to be lacking in details of evidence, or the wording seems to be a bit off, perhaps both, I begin a search for corroborating and/or contrary evidence. To do this I use as many sources as I can find and further investigate the source of the sources.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.