Agnostic.com

4 2

Raise the age for gun ownership?

Do you believe that we should raise the legal age for gun ownership to 21?

Kojaksmom 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am sure that the age for obtaining a gun should be raised. Moreover, I think it should be more difficult to obtain a gun license. Many people don't even realize their responsibility when they pick up a firearm. Each of you has heard the story of someone accidentally killing someone. Guns are a big responsibility. I like guns too, but I don't have a real one at home. I often buy guns at the airsoft shop; they look real but won't hurt anyone. Even if kids find them.

For sure, check out japanese requirements for ownership. But for a start, age limits, classes, background checks and psychological tests should be required.

No... why Do I say that? Because you can't punish everyone for the stupid kid that did all the damage. As time goes on things have changed. We need to be more attentive towards war games and kill games for children. Build a better alert system for everywhere. They got cameras on the highway and on every red light. Put them in schools and shopping malls... the government knows what to do but want spend the money to heal solve the problem.

But the reason why we raise the legal drinking age to 21 was try to keep it out of high schools

The problem is not the guns the problem is the people that use guns these people are mentally sick and in most cases they don't care if they live or die. Somebody needs to figure out how to get him help before they do these shootings. That is the type the laws we need to put in place. Probably 99% of the people that have guns are law-abiding makes no sense to me why we need guns but I guess some people feel more secure having them. Maybe we should put in a one-year waiting period before you can buy a gun and have at least four people vouch for you that you are mentally stable and fit to own a gun if you want you can buy a gun and have to be 25 years old but I'm not sure that would even help. I think Australia has strict gun control laws but even that country has mass shootings occasionally.

@Kojaksmom ....... age ... was never a problem for doing what I wanted to do. I started at 16 and the legal age was 18. It's always been my deal that if I can be drafted at 18 then I should be able to drink at 18... don't get me wrong... I'm not fussing... I went to Vietnam at 18... ready to die for my country. Turned 19 over there and was sent a draft notice. Hmmm... lucky me....lol

The average person could go into a gun shop and buy an assault weapon in about 15 to 20 minutes. Background checks are instant, no waiting period is required. it is not unusual for 18 year olds to be in high schools with 14 year olds. This was essentially the premise of why I was asking if we should raise the legal gun ownership age .I think we should.

@Kojaksmom. I agree on assault rifles... that's a great compromise. Shotguns should be allowed and rifles for deer hunting. Hand guns and assault at 18. It should be 18.... the problem is that if they a delusional idea... they're going to find a way to act it out... the government should step in and become responsible... they won't spend the money for the computers and cameras.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure that the school shooters are usually the official owners of the guns they use, so changing the minimum age probably would not make a difference.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.