Agnostic.com

2 0

Should Community colleges and even Universities offer Creative Writing and Screenwriting classes and degrees?

SeanBab 4 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll be devil's advocate and say no. These disciplines should be taught in trades/technical schools. Community colleges could incorporate trades/technical departments.

Why would a trade school school be the place to foster creativity? Aren't they more precise and black and white than something as ambiguous as creativity? Learning how to piece together pipes or wire a house or construct a chimney or even how to repair a computer seems counter to creativity. I do agree that community colleges need to include more trades...we will have a shortage soon of qualified trades people...

@Gwendolyn2018 I did NOT suggest that community colleges should drop academic, university oriented courses.

@Gwendolyn2018 I think sometimes we focus so much on pure academics and forget that other skills and intelligence is needed to complete our societal needs...I like the idea of inexpensive higher education that includes trades, arts, music, high tech, etc. I encouraged the women in our family to try our community college to get a feel of what they might enjoy and still have gainful and meaningful employment...they did move on to finish their degrees with much more purpose and enthusiasm.

@Gwendolyn2018 We need more people like you who offer guidance like this...

@Gwendolyn2018 I also have to speak in generalities when I talk to people about financial planning and taxes...heaven forbid that they use common sense and save money, I could get sued for malpractice! What a fucked up world it is sometimes....

Of course they should and most do...without the arts, we are not a cultured and civilized society...an advance education is not meant just to get a job...it is meant to expand the mind and open up the possibilities...there will always be a need for creativity and courses include business classes, marketing, and general overall education plus the technological courses needed these days...

There will always be a need for writers of all kinds to entertain and educate us and the future generations...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:260475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.