Agnostic.com

5 1

How Many Have Basic Sewing Skills?

I darned a sock today. Yes, I can sew! I was taught to do so as a child. I can't make myself a suit but can competently darn a sock, replace buttons, repair rips, and do own a sewing kit. I was sporting the "rip and repaired" jeans LOOONG before anyone else, lol.

BookDeath 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yep, learned as a young child (embroidered by age 6), designing making my own stuffed toys.

Just yesterday, one of my kids wanted an embroidered piece. I said I could make one, given some time. They flipped and did not believe that I could possibly know how!

Zster Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

I do. I actually took home economics.

I possess those basic skill seems my mother felt that I should choose a woman for other reasons other than I needed one to look after me, so, i was taught to do laundry, cook, clean, sew, shop and plan a menu.

I haven't darned but I can replace buttons, fix seams, operate a sewing machine, follow a pattern (barely), and knit.

I'd like to get competent at making or tailoring my own clothing but for now I focus on the practical troubleshooting things like patching my roommate's work pants and other minor repairs to my run-doen wardrobe.

Yes, by hand and with machines.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.