Agnostic.com

33 5

Why do religious people feel the need to go announcing to the general public that they love and believe in god?

I know most atheists and agnostics (some do though) don't go around in public saying to people that they are an atheist or are an agnostic. Why do the religious people feel the need to do that? Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door, people in Wal-Mart bring up god into a random conversation, or "god bless you" is said to you by a cashier, etc... Is it just Colorado Springs in CO that is this bad, or all over CO. I don't live in the bible belt of the country, thank you jeebus! I once walked into a Taco Bell, and saw 2 Mormons waiting for their food. They were talking about god to a customer standing there. Why can't they keep god in their church, home, and head? Also, I did have a Xian witness to me. It didn't change my mind about god. It made me irritated. Have you noticed random people in your city or town bringing up god in public?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My cynical take on the issue: Recruiting and breeding are essential to survival. More church members equals more money and more influence. That’s why churches are against birth control and abortion.

Proselytizing and “witnessing” are recruitment tools.

Yes. I don't enjoy witnessing.

Gives them a false sense of superiority, when I believe it's just a sign of fear.

Ooohh... I bet they feel superior.

There are nonprofit Christian organizations, who travel the world to help others. For many however, the main goal is to preach Christianity and convert as many people as they can. Now, these people really believe that god or Jesus, asked them to do that. First of all the organizations they are in deeply support this collective thinking and fuel their mind with the power of doing such a good thing. Preaching and converting. Although not all of them but many, mainly those who are not in a mission, have so much sin on their soul that screaming around how Christians they are, will make them pure. Others, just became “aggressive”, not understanding why others can live so deeply in sin without believing in something that it’s so obvious for them. And because of these sinful people, there is so much tragedy in the world. So in a way they are in a mission. But just don’t know how to be kind.

Some people that don't believe have to listen to that crap in public.

Yeah, tends to be christians , jehovahs' that stop people at supermarkets, ya don't have muslims, jews, or any other faiths pushing in that way

Ikr?

Why is it annoying to you? I don't feel threaten or annoyed when they approach me. Are You a Target of Free Speech?

Why would I want to hear about god in public? I hear about him at work too much.

It is their cult, and they want to share it. Maybe it is about all they have. What else are they engaged in?

I guess they thing they are evangelizing mankind. Poor idiots.

Having lived in Colorado for a few years, I don't think it's all of Colorado. I get the sense that the Air Force Academy has a pretty big influence on the community in Colorado Springs. It seems to me that in the US, a large military presence often goes hand-in-hand with in-your-face Christianity. Ironic for a religion that preaches peace...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26127
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.